Commodore : The Inside Story by Commodore CEO David John Pleasance

Caporegime
story0.jpg

Here we have a brand new Kickstarter campaign for the Commodore : The Inside Story book, which is actually being told by one of the Commodore legends 'David John Pleasance', who was a former UK Managing Director of that famous company!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/469255657/commodore-the-inside-story/description

This one deserves its own thread, especially for any retro gamer out there! Sure we've had lots of books before but this one is actually from the "was" UK managing director of Commodore, and spent a year in America heading up that department as well. Watch the video, interesting stuff re : PC :o

Soldato
He always struck me as one of those gutsy enough to stick his head above the parapet and take the incoming in the press during Commodore's death throes, he kept a high profile in the tech press and seemed absolutely gutted when the ship finally sank. I think I'll be in on this one.

Soldato
Guy puts himself out there on a regular basis in the world of podcasts.

Without doubt there's more in the book, he illuded to it on last weeks 'amigos' podcast while letting one more thing slip he was going to save for the book:). That said, if you've an interest in the fella, dig those casts out.. Dan Woods has a epic long video interview on youtube.

Associate
The demise of Commodore still makes me sad/angry. Such a waste. My A1200 with an 030 is currently living in digital form on my PC - the hardware still works like!

Soldato
Surprised a book hadn't come out sooner.

I'm only more surprised at the continued love people seem to have for Amigas after all these years.

Funnily enough, I have 3 sitting in my spare room just now. Recovered from my parent's loft at the weekend, where they have been for the last 12 years; two A600s and a late Escom A1200. Found a big box of games too - I didn't even realise I had them.

Not sure what I will do with them, at the moment I'm playing old games and buying CF cards and scart cables. Good times.

Associate

I'm only more surprised at the continued love people seem to have for Amigas after all these years.

Funnily enough, I have 3 sitting in my spare room just now. Recovered from my parent's loft at the weekend, where they have been for the last 12 years; two A600s and a late Escom A1200. Found a big box of games too - I didn't even realise I had them.

Not sure what I will do with them, at the moment I'm playing old games and buying CF cards and scart cables. Good times.

The obvious thing to do, would be to send them to me ;)

Or better still, stick them in one of those huge Eyetech EZ towers & add a PPC accelerator card & a PPC gfx card, assuming they can still be found anywhere.

Soldato
just watched the video

Defo going to buy this

Such regrets I gave away my commodore 64 + 1541disk drive
An amiga A500 + 512kb ram expansion + 20MB HD + external 3.5floppy drive .... all were working :(

Soldato
The demise of Commodore still makes me sad/angry. Such a waste. My A1200 with an 030 is currently living in digital form on my PC - the hardware still works like!

Althrough i still don't think the Commodore brand would be alive today in any meaningful way. It should have lasted a lot longer than it did. If they made the right decisions, we should have easily seen a 32-bit generation of Commodore home computers and be successful to the point where it would have put off people jumping to the PC platform as early as they did. And kept up with the Saturn/Dreamcast in terms of gaming. But the combination of Sony Playstation and Intels Pentiums in the early 2000's would have killed them off anyway.

Still, i would have loved to see what a 32-bit Amiga would have been like

Man of Honour
Good timing. I installed an Amiga emulator on my phone today. A few days ago I watched an interesting documentary about the Amiga. Apparently Commodore UK tried to buy the rights to it when the rest of Commodore sank. They lost out to Recommend and that caused Commodore UK to fold as well.

The Amiga was far more popular in Europe than in the US and was selling very well here. If they sold to CBM UK then it would have lasted much longer.

Man of Honour

There have been a few already although not solely aimed at the inside story, more just general hardware/software/manufacturing etc - I've backed two in the last couple of years :)

Back
Top Bottom