Commuting with a Rucksack: Change to Panniers?

Soldato
For the last month or so I've been commuting to my local station (2.5m each way) on my Giant Defy 4. I go in my work clothes as it's not a difficult ride and don't get sweaty. However, my back does seem to get quite hot and sticky as I carry a rucksack to work.

I've been looking at rear bike racks and can't find a definative answer to my question. Am I better off strapping my existing rucksack to a rear bike rack with bungee cords, or should I invest in some panniers which I could put my rucksack (20l) in?

Associate
getting away from a rucksack is amazing. I used to commute a lot by bike and didn't want to go the pannier route, as I also wanted to use the bike away from commuting and didn't want to be fitting things on and off the bike all the time. So... I ended up with a Carradice SQR slim...
https://www.gravelbike.com/first-impressions-carradice-sqr-slim-tour-saddlebags/

You fit a quick release block onto your seat-tube, and this bag then clips on/off this mount in a couple seconds. It's large enough to fit a set of shoes, my work clothes, lunch, travel towel and toolkit - so I'm sorted.

When I'm not commuting, I've got my bike all good, without panniers, which i just prefer...

I honestly think this bag is an amazing, alternative to panniers. But... it does need a bit of space on your seat tube (so if it's slammed down, then nope) and I believe it's not ideal for use with carbon seat-tubes...

available: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/carradice-super-c-sqr-slim-saddlepack-black-16-litre/

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to need something I can quickly take my rucksack out of at the station, so ideally a large waterproof bag!

Is there much difference between rear bike racks other than weight when you spend more?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I bit the bullet and got some paniers along with the wrack, best thing i ever did for the commute, i just use one roadside and strangely cars give you more room or that might be a weird perception thing.

Back
Top Bottom