Comp test cars before buying? What is an immaculate car?

Associate
You can often tell by ear if one cylinder is off by the sound of the car turning over with the fuel pump fuse pulled, one compression stroke will be faster and sound higher pitched than the others.
A non intrusive method would be to use a lab scope and do a relative compression test, although this is not going to show much if all the cylinders were worn, but you'd hope there'd be another sign (like excess exhaust smoke) if so.

Soldato
I don't think I'd let anyone anywhere near my engine to do a compression test, what happens if they break a plug, scratch the paintwork by leaning over it or something else. Sorry but preowned cars are brought as seen. If any prospective buyer doesn't like it then tough I won't sell my car to them..

Caporegime
OP
If you are paying 10k for an mr2 it needs to be perfect tbh.

Yeah that was my thinking. It was a really nice car.

But if i bought it knowing thefront bumper had been off, resprayed and of course it will never line up properly afterwards if only by a millimeter or so.. That would be my fault.

Last time I had one I didnt spot that it had been in a front bump till a week or so after I got it home and it annoyed me.

Are there any about that havent been in a front end bump is the question I guess.

Associate
If you're not desperate for one just bide your time, another will come up. If you're particularly after a Rev4/5 sonic shadow turbo (factory not conversion) then it'll take a while longer simply because that combo is so much rarer than most. If you're just after a very tidy Rev3+ turbo, there will be more for sale :)

Caporegime
OP
If you're not desperate for one just bide your time, another will come up. If you're particularly after a Rev4/5 sonic shadow turbo (factory not conversion) then it'll take a while longer simply because that combo is so much rarer than most. If you're just after a very tidy Rev3+ turbo, there will be more for sale :)

Yep my preference is actually red but you can only get original toyota sunfade pink unless its been resprayed :eek:

Rev 4 or 5 is preferable but any tidy rev 3 without too much body kit etc.

I'm in no rush its a second car for me anyway. But I had lined up garage rental etc which may or not be available now in the future under existing terms.

Associate
Ah yes, a nice shade of Super Pink II!

I do wonder if a lot of owners of the tidier original cars (100% not mine :D) are seeing the way the market is trending and are holding on. Usually there's a few nice ones for sale at any one time but it does seem to be a bit barren at the moment!

Soldato
They do seem to be appreciating now. 10k now but what did they cost new factoring in inflation? I bet they have hardly lost anything.

I guess most people will be holding on to good ones.

Caporegime
OP
Ah yes, a nice shade of Super Pink II!

I do wonder if a lot of owners of the tidier original cars (100% not mine :D) are seeing the way the market is trending and are holding on. Usually there's a few nice ones for sale at any one time but it does seem to be a bit barren at the moment!

Yeah for sure:( there isn't 1 clean car for sale anywhere...

Didn’t consider haggling and fixing it?

I dont think he wanted to lower the price at all.

But once a car has had a bump, you can never really go back and unbump it. Without taking the bumper off you would never know the extent of the damage or repair. Could be something or nothing right?

And I was always told never buy an mr2 thats had a front ender.

Caporegime
OP
Back
Top Bottom