Compact Flash Card "Speed"

Soldato
My wife owns a Canon 400d.
When I bought it for her a couple of years back, Compact Flash cards were quite pricy, so I bought as large capacity as I could justify.

Prices seem to have dropped now, so going to source a couple of higher capacity cards.
Is there a particular "speed" of card I should be looking at?

The Kingston 16GB 133x cards seem a bargain at around £27.
However I also see there are 233x and 300x cards available (for a lot more money, 16GB 300x at around £115).
Do I really need anything faster than 133x?

Associate
i asked this same question afew months back... essentially, card speed wont matter for the shooting, unless u shoot continously and saturate the camera memory... doubt most of us will...

will only be advantageous when u read off the card in a faster transfer speed....

i saved some dosh by just getting a 133x card rather than the fastest there is....

Soldato
I use 2x8GB Kingston 133x cards on my D200, shooting RAW continuous it seems fine, i chose two 8GB over one 16GB card, too.

no you don't really. if you need more than 133x speed then you are probably binning alot of your shots. Its only really the need for people in the industry tracking sports or wildlife.

Or the resolution of your camera is plus 18mp

Associate
I bought a couple of 32gb Kingston one from the bay... x133 complete overkill, full wedding shoot was under 1/3 a single card raw+jpeg

The buffer of my 40D runs out much faster than with my 300x 8gb ones, but as said above I'm not covering sports/ Wildlife

Associate
People buying them off ebay ... hope they're genuine ;). Knock off cards are more common than legit ones on there :(

if you do get a knockoff card and can prove it, you're covered by ebays buyer protection system so you can get your money back... or report them to the police! :)

Soldato
I just stick with x133, and I doubt I will buy anything more than 8Gb as I would hate to fill a 16 or 32Gb card up only to have it fail.

For that reason I have two 4Gb cards and one 8Gb card. If I start doing more weddings I may well get a couple more 8Gb ones.

Associate
CF 133 speed cards are fine. You really only need faster than 133 if you are continously shooting beyoud the camera's memory buffer, or if your DSLR mas HD movie mode which will need a high write rate !

Top Bottom