1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Company took away fuel card, expect me to pay up front.

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Nick1881, 10 Apr 2021.

1. Hyburnate

Capodecina

This makes absolutely zero sense.

We used to not have fuel cards and we would put a £300 float in an employees account so they could afford the fuel costs which is returned on cessation of employment.

We then moved to fuel cards and reclaimed the float and our yearly fuel saving is huge due to the preferential rates.

2. cheesyboy

Capodecina

With clear data like that, it's obviously an issue with the driver that training can, and did, improve.

But for op, presumably, the only data is that the advisory rate is inappropriate, so the actual fuel use should be used instead.

3. Greebo

Caporegime

And yet the OP has admitted that if he drives everywhere at 60mph then he hits the required mpg that the HMRC rate fully reimburses him. Therefore as a company and HMRC they can quite legitimately claim that the rate is sufficient.

Once as a company you have to assess every vehicle to come up with a true rate then it gets messy. Hence why there is a flat HMRC rate. Yes its not great and some people will win and others will lose.

But if I was the OP having come from a different system, i wouldnt be happy either and would be asking the company to pay me the difference.

Issue is in the current climate, depending on your job role, will anybody leave for the £400 per annum they might lose out which could be fixed by just driving slightly slower

4. ubersonic

Capodecina

Dude, are you seriously complaining about hitting the jackpot like this? Lol.

Use a rewards credit card and profit, either use a cashback one or if you have/get an Amex you can basically have free holidays thanks to the air miles :)

5. Greebo

Caporegime

Indeed a few years ago i had a friend who did 50k miles a year and the cashback/points bought his holiday every year

6. Tinders

Soldato

What cards/rewards would you recommend?

7. dLockers

Soldato

AMEX. And then a backup card like an Amazon or BarclayCard incase AMEX isn't accepted. AMEX will have different flavours depending on your minimum spend - Platinum Cashback is a good place to start. Gold is good if you have a heavy few months as it typically has a bonus period and then gives you points. MSE forum will have a lot more in depth analysis of the various offers.

I get 45p on my private car alongside many other expenses and was making an easy £400/year on the Platinum card.

8. lordrobs

Capodecina

Yup plus;
    Nectar
    Tesco Clubcard
    Shell Go+
    BPme
    etc...

Also worth keeping an eye on the Amex offers (if you go that route) as they often have handy work expense offers like £5 back when you spend £30 at Esso.

I don't keep track of how much I make back on my company expenses but I've had some nice perks by bankrolling the company expenses. 42 nights (3 people for two weeks) half board 4* hotel at 7% quidco cashback + 1% credit card cashback was a particular highlight :p My company is always on the button with my expense payments though so YMMV and all that.

9. dLockers

Soldato

Mate, tell me about it; if it wasn't for lockdown I'd still be on the drug. I'm talking Maldives, Waldorf Astoria in NY, Conrads... the works. I have spent over 400 nights in Marriotts though in the last 3 years (excluding 2020/21 of course) :p. The ones that mean I have various AMEX for my family to milk the system meant I could do the £50 cashback at Hilton/Marriott 3 or 4 times, too. Made a big difference to bottom line. And don't get me started on putting expenses on a 0% purchases card and then investing the expense payment :p

Holidays are going to have to go back to normal now that has stopped :o Caravan in Devon Cliffs it is...

10. Haggisman

Capodecina

And you don't think the company would start questioning why it takes him 15% longer to get anywhere?

11. Greebo

Caporegime

Well that might make them rethink their fuel payment policy. Plus I know lots of companies who fit speed limiters to their vehicles as just a few mph drop can save them a fortune in fuel costs.

And it never works out at 15% slower. It never does. How many times do you see somebody overtake you at 90mph and several miles down the road you pull up behind them at traffic lights?

12. lordrobs

Capodecina

Nowhere near as often as I'm overtaken by someone at 90mph who steadily disappears into a spec in the distance never to be seen again :p

Seriously though, the last thing you want to be doing when trying to cover 300 miles home is sitting in lane 1 mixing it up with the trucks. I got the lecture about how you don't save any time by driving quicker when I did my speed awareness course. I stuck my hand up when they asked the question of "so who was driving over the limit to get where they were going quicker" so the guy asked how much time I thought I'd save. I told him "about 25 minutes" and his eyes lit up as he made his way to the whiteboard to "do the maths. "...and how far were you driving?" "about 320 miles" "...oh" :p

I am a good boy and stick to the limits now though so the course worked.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2021
  13. Haggisman

Capodecina

Depends on the journey type I guess, but assuming 50% of OP's travel is motorway miles (which if he covers the whole country then IMO that's an underestimate), that's still ~31 hours/year, almost a whole working week

14. ArchAnGeL

Wise Guy

I'm just going to skip to the end of the thread
    Raise a grievance against the company with the points you have raised and the cost implications to you from the change (a collective grievance would be far more effective). Have a clear idea of what you want the resolution to be and include that. (tip, don't say put it back to a fuel card as getting rid of that will be a done deal by now)
    If nothing changes, then suck it up or leave - those are your options I am afraid