Comparing apples to apples

Soldato
I've been eating an apple a day recently, quite a few of Braeburn and Gala. Braeburns are slightly better than Gala imo. But at the moment I've got Cox apples. My goodness, they're juicy! Very nice indeed. Not as sweet as the others but more tangy (though not tart and acidic like granny smith) and definitely more succulent. What's your favourite apple?

Soldato
definitely not gala, why do they grow them ? golden delicious seem to have fortunately bitten the dust in recent years ...
but apples that are preferably from the uk (france will do) that have not been chilled to death and de-flavoured eg S.Africa
Hopefully brexit will be the renaissance for the english apple.

supermarket cox's , or russett would be my choice ... but local orchard had some good stuff Wayside, Thodays Quarrendon,
can't beat a discovery picked off of tree but they don't last. too bad they don't live

Soldato
There are so many good apple varieties and we are so limited in the supermarkets. We have a Fiesta in the garden which shares heritage with the golden delicious but is so much nice, crisp sweet and fragrant. We also have a Kidd's Orange Red a cox like sweet firm apple grate in salads or just a plain dessert apple. Spartan is great apple and so many more. We've been to orchard open days in Kent and Berkshire to try different apples and they leave the supermarket offering way behind which is so sad, because we import so much bland fruit but don't grow superior British alternatives. The double irony being that those bland apples are the product of the UK giving away it's root stock to other countries for free and they increased productivity of less interesting varieties at the expense of our own.

Soldato
I always plump for a Braeburn but Pink Ladies are nice too. I can never remember if Cox or Gala are the disappointing ones that always seem over-ripe and 'mushy'. I hate that. I couldn't buy Jazz apples, who came up with that name? :o :p

Soldato
My favourite are Ambrosia apples which Waitrose used to sell years ago, but can't seem to find them anymore.

I just stick with the Golden Delicious now. I've tried other varieties like Pink Lady but find them way too sweet and give me teeth and stomach issues.

Soldato
OP
I've never heard of Kanzi apples, but since Tesco are selling a pack for £1, thought I'd try them.

20191204-195305.jpg

Soldato
you read up on them ? wiki says they're prodigy of a Gala and Braeburn union

https://patch.com/new-york/whiteplains/bp--how-much-sugar-does-an-apple-have-f072e2bb
Most apples have between 11 and 18 percent sugar.

The amount of sugar in an apple is an important factor in how flavorful it is. The sugar content of an apple depends on its size and variety.

Size - Apples average about 3 grams of sugar per ounce. According to the California Apple Commission, a medium apple weighing 5.5 oz. has 16 grams of sugar. The Washington Apple Commission states that a large, 8-ounce apple contains 25 grams of sugar.

Variety - Some apple varieties are sweeter than others. Red and Golden Delicious have 11 to 15 percent sugar. Granny Smith apples have 12 to 18 percent sugar. The sugar content of Gala apples is 14 to 16 percent. Fuji is one of the sweetest varieties with 16 to 18 percent sugar.

maybe the apple industry (like similar accusation i've heard for strawberries) are pandying to the nations sweet tooth, albeit, sourer, more acidic ?, apples, might also give tooth enamel weakening.

Soldato
OP
you read up on them ? wiki says they're prodigy of a Gala and Braeburn union

https://patch.com/new-york/whiteplains/bp--how-much-sugar-does-an-apple-have-f072e2bb

maybe the apple industry (like similar accusation i've heard for strawberries) are pandying to the nations sweet tooth, albeit, sourer, more acidic ?, apples, might also give tooth enamel weakening.

These Kanzi are very nice indeed, very juicy and sweet. Hard to think that an apple a day can increase the need for the dentist.

Soldato
OP
So I just bought a large single Pink Lady to see what the fuss is about.
Well, yes, it's delicious. But why is a pack of 6 so much more expensive than every other apple, it's nothing special imo.

By the way, you've got to all try Smitten apples, they're gorgeous.
I'm smitten.

293568011-0-640x640.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom