• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Comparison of Core2 CPUs - 5200 and 8400

Associate
Just after a quick opinion

I've currently got a Core 2 E5200 running at 3.7GHz on air stable for several years. Considering a minor upgrade to a E8400 with the obvious intent of OCing it too.

Any ideas what the performance difference would be? Worth it or just wasting time. Obviously lot will probably depend on how well the E8400 overclocks.

Just a stop-gap prior to a proper upgrade at some point in the future.

Associate
OP
The only thing I use the desktop for is playing the X series of games from Egosoft (space sims) which are pretty hard on systems for both CPU and GPU. I dont care about the graphics so generally have them tuned down to improve overall performance.

When things get busy in the game - performs goes out the window and I believe its probably a CPU bottleneck

System details:

Abit IP35 Pro
E5200 @ 3.7 on air
4Gb Ram
X1950 pro (going to be replaced )

Associate
More than 3.7 :o On air ?! I thought the max it'd go is 3.6-ish on air. I ask because I have the q6600 + p5k3 deluxe (p35 + ddr3) And I'll be oc'ing it this weekend.

When playing something like BF3 @ 3.6, would my freezer 7 pro behave like a fighter jet ?

Oh and to OP, if your game makes use of the 4 cores, deffo q6600...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The reason for not going for a quad is that its currently single threaded so there is no inherent benefit except the other cores can be utilised by other applications - that said I deliberately dont run other applications when gaming for this very reason.

The idea was to spend uner £30 on this - so not an expensive option but needs to provide some level improved performance or its pointless.

Back
Top Bottom