Complete set up

Soldato
Looking for recommendations for a set up to do landscape, portrait and a little bit of product work on things I make.

Currently have a Canon 1100d, 17-55 kit, 50 1.8, 55-250 and a yongnuo ex568.
I find the eslr a little small to handle so would like to change it.

Soldato
Looking for recommendations for a set up to do landscape, portrait and a little bit of product work on things I make.

Currently have a Canon 1100d, 17-55 kit, 50 1.8, 55-250 and a yongnuo ex568.
I find the eslr a little small to handle so would like to change it.

Whats your budget, without that making a suggestion is a little tricky I would however recommend going second hand for everything as you can save a stack of cash!

Soldato
OP
Budget is between £1500 - £1800. I'm happy to go second hand so long as it's mbp or similar with some sort of guarantee for expensive stuff.

I would have added more detail but I'm currently watching my little one

Soldato
OP
Not high end at all raymond, that's what is causing most of my confusion. I'd like to cover focal length of what I have now but better quality so if on a crop maybe the sigma 18-35 1.8 and tamron or sigma 70-200 2.8 as I have the 50mm for between those or full frame 17-40 f4L and the 70-200 f4L
Cameras I'm between 7d mk1 or 70d or 5d mk2.
Then maybe a couple more speedlights and softboxes or some continuous lighting for products.

The problem I came across the other day was doing product shots on a dining table with the camera looking straight down on a tripod, with no flip out screen framing was a nightmare as was being absolutely square on with perspective. But this type of photograph won't be very often.

Landscape is something I want to try as living in the Peak District near Buxton I'm surrounded by landscape opportunities to learn on. Likewise with portraits of my little girl I'm surrounded by stunning scenery and woodland for amazing opportunities especially with autumn round the corner

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's surprising how fast the budget disappears when costing things

It's not cheap!

It's all about focal length. For landscape you can get away with what you have. Perhaps add a filter and a tripod.

For product shots, a light box and then some lights. May be a Macro Lens, depends on product.

Portraits you can use what you have, or get a 50/1.4 or a 84/1.8.

£1500 can cover all that, but it won't be the best gear, although it would be more than good enough.

Soldato
OP
I was wondering about the Canon 60mm macro but some of the products I do are dining table centrepieces so I haven't got the room to get back enough from the table and overhead I was at 17mm just to get the table top in and give me a little bit of cropping space but as I found out perspective needs to be as close to bang on square and level as possible. All a learning curve. Part of what I'm finding appealing with the 70d is the flip screen and wifi and use my phone.

Now I've put it down in black and white (with a lot of forum blue) I'm thinking either a 6d and 17-40l or 70d and 18-35 1.8. I think you can tether the 6d to phone or ipad so that might be the best option. I had a 5d mk1 and that just felt right in my hands

Caporegime
I was wondering about the Canon 60mm macro but some of the products I do are dining table centrepieces so I haven't got the room to get back enough from the table and overhead I was at 17mm just to get the table top in and give me a little bit of cropping space but as I found out perspective needs to be as close to bang on square and level as possible. All a learning curve. Part of what I'm finding appealing with the 70d is the flip screen and wifi and use my phone.

Now I've put it down in black and white (with a lot of forum blue) I'm thinking either a 6d and 17-40l or 70d and 18-35 1.8. I think you can tether the 6d to phone or ipad so that might be the best option. I had a 5d mk1 and that just felt right in my hands

Completely ghetto set up in the kitchen. Using the 85mm. The 100mm (macro) can get much closer.

SwKpxwC.jpg

ddInOBI.jpg

CCAPRf3.jpg

Soldato
OP
I think you've misunderstood what I meant, I have the table all set up with plates, cutlery and wine glasses and do shots at different angles

Soldato
OP
Yeah, the 50 is OK for me down the length of the table but not side on as I'm on a crop and 16mm only just makes it on a overhead view. I had two tripod legs on the table with the chairs turned round stopping them slipping and the other leg tied to a dumbell and leaning the tripod over so the legs weren't in shot. That was loads of fun

Caporegime
Yeah, the 50 is OK for me down the length of the table but not side on as I'm on a crop and 16mm only just makes it on a overhead view. I had two tripod legs on the table with the chairs turned round stopping them slipping and the other leg tied to a dumbell and leaning the tripod over so the legs weren't in shot. That was loads of fun

Then you need something around 35mm.

Caporegime

Use your zoom lens. No need for a fast prime with this type photo. You are going to be stopped down to f/11 or smaller. If the 17mm end is not wide enough then you can buy a lot of great ultra wide anlge lenses for crop cameras.

Soldato
OP
Just ordered a 70d and new tripod and ball head from mbp. Going to stick with the lenses I have for now. Looking forward to the jump in resolution and overall more professional feel to the camera

Back
Top Bottom