Computer being anal about 4GB of RAM

Man of Honour
Ok I'm not sure what kind of problem area this belongs to. But I have changed from 2GB of DDR2 667MHz and am trying to install 4GB of DDR2 800MHz. I can put three sticks in for 3GB of ram, however when putting in the forth one, the computer doesn't appear to boot up properly.

I can hear everything whirr up, yet there doesn't appear to be feed to the monitor for 4GB.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what is going on? I'm currently playing around with different slots and sticks atm.

Associate
Sounds like you're doing it but first thing is to rule out a duff stick, try booting with all four sticks one at a time. next is to try the different sticks in different slots to make sure there's not a duff slot on the mobo. Next to try setting the mem timings etc back to defaults/SPD, just to see if you can boot at defaults. last would be the mem voltage, try at recommended volts and then one setting below and then at one setting above.

Man of Honour
OP
deleted - that's correct - nothing posts to the screen (e.g. loadup bios screens), this is before windows XP starts to load up.

schumi84 - The voltage atm is 2.05V....I think I have a faulty RAM slot, as all my modules work in 3 of my slots, not the forth one :/ Very bizarre, though I'm upgrading early next year so I'm not too bothered atm. Edit - at first it was 1.8!! Oops!

Add to that I'm still on XP32, so ~200MB of ram isn't really going to make that much differnce :)

Thank you for your replies guys.

Man of Honour
OP
I thought XP didn't support 4Gb?...

It does, but that's its maximum (bubble the maths down and I think it's 2^32). However the "forth" module is mostly totally "unuseable" for the user so in total he/she gets around 3.2GB.

My computer is a fiddly git to get into with it being arranged in a corner of my room, so when I do go in I usually do three or four things at once. I was hoping to just shove the stick of RAM in and forget about it but alas I couldn't

Back
Top Bottom