Computer fairs

Soldato
Hi all

My wife has been told there is a computer fair in our area this weekend and thinks I should maybe take a look see what they got... I'm a bit weiry of going to these types of things and spending money because I just get a feeling something's going to go wrong... They say on their Facebook page "why pay high street prices" which straight away makes me wonder... has anyone experienced a computer fair..

Soldato
I used to go to computer fairs all the time, but this was 17 or so years ago. Before computer auction sites.

Where is it fellow Swindonian?

The ones I used to go to had dodgy rips of the latest movies. But I did get some good computer cases, monitors and peripherals over the years.

Caporegime
Back in the late 90s and early 2000s I used to frequent computer fairs, but these days they are typically a mix of overpriced tat ("gadgets"), mobile phone accessories, and the odd overpriced computer components stall, you might get lucky with second hand bits too, but I doubt it!

Soldato
OP
I used to go to computer fairs all the time, but this was 17 or so years ago. Before computer auction sites.

Where is it fellow Swindonian?

The ones I used to go to had dodgy rips of the latest movies. But I did get some good computer cases, monitors and peripherals over the years.

Ahhh another Swindon member :D New college, Shame you can't make.. could've had a nose about with me :p

Back in the late 90s and early 2000s I used to frequent computer fairs, but these days they are typically a mix of overpriced tat ("gadgets"), mobile phone accessories, and the odd overpriced computer components stall, you might get lucky with second hand bits too, but I doubt it!

Yeah it does say on their page mobile phones and gadgets... I'm tempted to take a stroll over and see if they have got such 'Bargains' as they say... I suppose its good I have some idea of what a good price is because of being a member here.

Soldato
Ah, I used to buy all sorts from fairs - this was before I got a switch card and ordering on the internet wasn't really a thing. I remember buying a 2mb upgrade for my S3 graphics card from a fair.

I can imagine them being full of tat these days however.

Soldato
Used to go every month as a teenager... like 2000 haha. Even then it was mostly just blank CDs and random tat with a few decent stalls for parts. Was the best place before internet shops took off. Dont think I would bother nowadays, nobody is going to reliably beat online prices.

Soldato
I used to go all the time some 15+ years ago and it seemed like you could get some pretty good deals. I went to a big one in Manchester a few years ago and it was, as someone above said, all tat and overpriced computer parts

Caporegime
Computer fairs are the worst that direct-from-China eBay sales have to offer, arranged on tables in a boring location. Sometimes there's second-hand laptops or Apple gear on offer for 50% above what it's worth.

Soldato
Used to go to the computer fair in Birmingham, in the old motorbike museum.

Prices were maybe 5% lower than online but haven't been for 3 years.

May have changed a lot.

Soldato
Used to go to the computer fair in Birmingham, in the old motorbike museum.

Prices were maybe 5% lower than online but haven't been for 3 years.

May have changed a lot.

I went last year, cheaper to go online. When you take into the cost of entry and it was massively reduced in stands.

Soldato
My first PC was built with a mishmash of bits from local computer fairs in the early 2000's. They used to be good as you could normally haggle a fair bit of discount and get some good deals on unboxed stuff such as GPU's.

These days as said above it tends to just be pointless crap with one or two stalls selling proper computer stuff for not much less than the big brands. Who's going to buy a 1080 for £20 less than OcUK from some random bloke you may never see again if it goes wrong?

Soldato
I used to go all the time some 15+ years ago and it seemed like you could get some pretty good deals. I went to a big one in Manchester a few years ago and it was, as someone above said, all tat and overpriced computer parts
Was it Bowlers?

Used to get all sorts of illicit tech from that place.

Soldato
Used to spend many a weekend at the massive computer fair in Manchester though I can't remember the name of it :( this was the early 00's and you could get some massive savings if you didn't ask why it was so cheap.

Now days I'd imagine it's mainly tat for phones and tablets instead of PC hardware.

Back
Top Bottom