Computer fried, new build time.

Associate
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice and recommendations on a new build, my current PC specs are:

CPU: i7-3930K
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P9X79 Pro
COOLING: H100i
RAM: 32GB Ram
GPU: GTX 680

Hard Disk Set-up:
Exports: 250GB SSD
Cache: 2TB SSD
RAID 0: 3x 2TB 7200RPM

I am an editor, the PC I have I built back in 2013 and has been such a great workhorse in handling upto 4K media, as my workflows use proxies when editing and go to source when in grade. Luck would have it Black Friday and Cyber Monday just finished and in this night my PC felt like packing up, I have investigated the issues as it seems to be the SATA ports to the SSD and HDD, not sure how that happened but looks like there must have been a surge overnight.

So for the long overdue upgrade of a system, I am looking at reusing the SSD's as I have done checks and they are still working optimally and I have a Fractal Design R4 which can house a ATX motherboard with loads of room.

The config I am looking at is:

CPU: AMD 3700X (I am borrowing this from a friend and will be buying the 5900X when its back in stock)
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard
COOLING: Asus ROG RYUJIN 360 121.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
GPU: New AMD or NVidia (Still deciding but again borrowing one from a friend)
PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Hard Disk Set-up:

OS: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
CACHE: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Either:
RAID 0: 5x Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
RAID 0: 3x 2TB SSD's, will add to RAID later on to increase storage size

The reason I am choosing the motherboard due to the amount of SATA connections and two NVME.

With keeping my case, which I am hoping can support all of the new items, its roughly costing £1200, the increase would be a £1000 spent on the CPU and GPU when they are in stock and at a more acceptable price.

Would be great if anyone had any suggestions on if there are any parts I should be swapping for more reliability or functionality, once I have this I will be approaching OC to see if they can do a package deal on the items.

Associate
OP
Amazing spot, I didn't check that. Would you think it would still be ok to stick with the H100i or get something new that can fit into the case?

I have 2 intake fans at the front of the case, one rear out and one side out and the H100i flows upwards and out.

Man of Honour
Amazing spot, I didn't check that. Would you think it would still be ok to stick with the H100i or get something new that can fit into the case?

I have 2 intake fans at the front of the case, one rear out and one side out and the H100i flows upwards and out.

H100i should be fine and I think its Am4 compatable but just check.

You could always get a new case if you fancy.

Back
Top Bottom