Computers from Network view have vanished since 1803 update

Soldato
Hi

Can anyone help with this issue that I have just started to have after my media server updated to the 1803 release of Windows 10....?

When using the RDC to connect to the media server from my main machine (also on build 1803) I then open the Network view and see this, all is well.....

jb5qzCE.jpg

So the Media PC seen above can access the "Front" Pc (my Main) and thus share its content.

However, this bit is needed, from the reverse my Main Pc when I open the same Window sees this.....

SN3JdFE.jpg

....I see no Network PC's, like "Media" or "Front".

Both have the same settings as they previously did and shares are allowed. But I can now no longer access the Media PC from the Main PC as I have previously have done. This is needed.
I have tried un-sharing and res-haring but no difference. From the other way (RDC or going into the loft and directly using the Media PC) I can see the Front PC and open that and then fully access the shared drives etc.

Both PC's boot to my same account.

It worked great prior to the Media PC updating to 1803.

Having limited network skills I'm not sure where to go from here...?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I can RDC only for a connection - I know that I have limited knowledge and skills here.

The Network is set to Private and all types of shares allowed. It was fine when the Main (Front) PC was on 1803. It is now not fine when the Server (Media) has also gone to 1803.

The Network is Private and not public.....

EU6PS7x.jpg

for some reason I can't Map a drive on the Main PC from the Media.

It does not "see" \\Media

I can map a drive from the other way tho. From the Media PC I can map a drive on the Front PC.....

uhyx1HY.jpg

But not from the Front PC to the Media, which is what I need.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yup, my server has also gone. However I can get to the shares using \\servername

Not sure on the fix. :(

Thanks for the idea on mapping....

FY8eYag.jpg

works great until the server goes to sleep. Once the server sleeps and them awoken by magic packets none of the drives or content is available....

yrF20Xr.jpg

the only way to resolve the above is to then reboot the server OR never let it sleep, which I would want and only wake on magic packets.

Goodness knows what has changed with 1803 :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yup, my server has also gone. However I can get to the shares using \\servername

Not sure on the fix. :(

Ok seem to have found the fix......

habc7Ej.jpg

make sure that both of those services are running and set to "auto with delayed start".

Do that on both PC's and then you will find the Network function works as previously :)

The Function Discovery Resource Publication was disabled for me.

Read that in another forum.

Seems to be working now :)

Man of Honour
What media is it serving? Have you not thought about installing Plex Media Server? Will solve a lot of these MS related headaches.

Soldato
OP
^^^ It is sharing media, but is also used as a back up for documents and photos etc. I have other off site backups for both photos and documents as well.

So it is not entirely used for media only.

I agree that sometimes it seems getting shares to work with MS can seem,akin to alchemy.

I'm up and going again, for now. Maybe the above might just make me think about Plex and other options, thanks for the idea :)

Soldato
OP
Even using plex I often use the network shares to do stuff. :)

I reckon that I would still need that function. It has been too useful for me to not consider having Network Shares as it works.

It's more important after I found that mapped content and drives were no longer accessible if the server sleeps and then awoken.

btw your redactions aren't dark enough, can easily read through them.

Ninja spot there, lol.

Back I go for an edit .........

Soldato
Thanks op, I have the same problem with mine.

Too lazy to fix it as knew it would be fixed but good to know the cause.

RDC still works and network shares still work so no biggie.

Associate
I've had exactly the same issue at home recently, after updating to 1803. I discovered that the "Network Discovery (I think)" service does not start automatically despite being set to, and if you restart it you should see the PC's appear. It took me a while, but I wrote a simple batch file to stop and resart the service, set Task Scheduler to run it at startup and all PC's are then visible.

I'm at work, but if you need it I can provide the details when I get home.

DB

Edit: it's the Function Discovery, as per the screenshots a few posts back

Commissario
I just had exactly the same thing with my machines.

How the hell MS are STILL breaking this after 20 years with every major update is beyond me.
It seemed to get worse with Homegroup (which I never got working for any length of time even with all the machines running the same version of windows).

*mutters rudely and shakes cane at MS"

Soldato
OP
Even with ensuring that those two noted services are started I'm still having some issues with my media server not being accessible The problem tends to be when t awake the PC from sleep. If it is kept awake or rebooted all seems well But keeping it awake is not what I want.

I'm tempted to roll the server back and prevent Windows updates, as it worked perfectly well before.

MS seem to be most capable at breaking things which worked perfectly well.

In the past Homegroups were very hit and miss. It either worked perfectly well or seemed to randomly stop and deny all access that it previously allowed.

Soldato
I had similar issues on my machine after the update - connecting via IP's worked and pinging the hostname would resolve to the correct address. But for some reason I couldn't browse to the \\hostname\.

I think it's sorted now with various tweekery until it started working. A agree with @Werewolf though - MS always mess up networking...

Back
Top Bottom