Concrete removal

Soldato
Hi,

I've most of next month off and I am thinking of getting the garden bits done, this includes 2 x sleeper raised border with spotlights, some off vertical posts for washing lines/hammocks, a sleeper bench between 2 raised beds.

In the far corner, I want to build an office space, but there's a shed-sized raised concrete base that I need to rip out first. It's about a brick high and above ground level and what I'm guessing is solid concrete, but I've no idea on depth as it was there when I moved in.

I've eye and ear protection already, I've a 1600w hammer drill with chisels, a decent brick bolster and I think I've a lump hammer too if I can find it.

I'm going to need a sledgehammer so I was looking at the Screwfix MAGNUSSON CARBON STEEL SLEDGEHAMMER. 14lb Grade 55 Carbon Steel for £27.

Anyone any other recommendations for alternatives or any other tool's I may need?

The space next to the concrete area will be dug up and the soil used to fill the raised borders, then the concrete smashed up and used with other hardcore for the office base.

Soldato
Iv just done a 6" slab under a bbq which will be quite similar to what your doing and i had to use my bigger 15kg breaker to do any damage to it. My smaller hammer drills didnt even scratch it. Maybe worth hiring one as theyre quite costly to buy

^ Post above is exactly what i used. Will recommend it highly!

Associate
As above (not necessarily the screw fix breaker) but use a breaker it will be way way easier.
I did a meter square of (albeit 300mm) concrete with an SDS drill and bolster etc and it took me a week. I did a shed base size and thickness area with a proper breaker and it took half a day.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I'll have to see if any mates have one or whether I can rent one. £170 for one I'll use once or twice is steep :D or maybe I'll buy it and rent it out :D

Associate
Try shpock or gumtree people tend to buy them for one job and sell them on, i got mine off there for £70 done what i needed to do and sold it on for the same

Soldato
Screwfix do one for £100 which someone on here bought and thought highly of.

I’ve done a 2m x 2m concrete base using the titan 6kg sds. Only took a few hours. As long as you only break off small bits and don’t expect too much it’s definately do-able.

Soldato
AHarvey

I see you live near Stoke and I live near Whitchurch - I have one of those Titan 15kg breakers - you are welcome to borrow it for as long as your project lasts - You just need to fetch and return it.

It will be one of those -"I am glad I had that" moments.:)

Soldato
Would something like that Titan be overkill for digging out the concrete floor in my kitchen extension? I need to take off about 30mm or so in order to level the whole floor, including the kitchen. And there's a few channels that need to be dug for heating pipes.

Soldato
Thanks, Marv - my power tool knowledge is not up to much, what sort of thing would we be talking about?

And being smaller, would it also handle ceramic floor tiles?

Soldato
Something like an SDS drill would be my choice. Titan do a 6kg model for about £70.

It’s basically just a smaller version of the big breaker but because it’s less powerful you can be more precise.

Also has the benefit of being able to be used as a drill/chiseling tiles.

Soldato
Just look for a local Hire shop and hire a Hydraulic breaker for 1 day, should cost £80 to £100, it will easily break that base out.
While breaking concrete, always work just back from an edge, (3 to 4 inches depending on depth of concrete) and it will crack easier while you are breaking it

Back
Top Bottom