Conflicting MemTest86 results depending on XMP profiles

Associate
I came across some conflicting results on MemTest86 and would like to have you guys' insights on it. I've just bought a 16GB 3200 MHz-rated memory module from Kingston (HX432C18FB/16) to pair with another one I had already installed in my rig. Since then I started experiencing system instability - program crashes, freezes and BSOD's. As the recent memory installation became the obvious suspect, I went onto running MemTest86 (free version) in order to check if the guess was right.

Within the very first minutes of the first pass of the test I've got my screen flooded with red warnings. This first test had the memory speeds set at 3200 MHz via the XMP profile available in the SPD tables. Before considering the case closed I've decided to lower memory speeds by using a less aggressive XMP profile and ran a second test - this time at 2933 MHz - and see what happened. And it went without a hitch, zero errors.

So this is my (probably newbie) question: it might be that I've got no faulty memory modules at all, but instead a memory controller which is simply not up to the task? I mean, I'm running these modules under a Ryzen 5 1600 (non-X) environment - a processor I know is offiicially rated for 2666 MHz memory speeds only. Please have my test results: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aivf2gMwkA3js4Yk6SiXxcnDz_NDag

Thanks.

Soldato
With you running a Ryan cpu I would put it down to the ram speed not been supported. Try the higher speed with lose timings

The timings on the OP's ram are that loose to begin with (Cas 18 @3200) it's unlikely to be down to timings. OP, what mobo are you using ? As your ram is Dual Rank, it will only really run properly on a 4 series mobo when you have 2 sticks installed. If you are running them in a 3 series mobo, you will just have to bite the bullet and run them at a lower speed. If you use Ryzen Dram Calculator, you may be able to tighten the timings at a lower speed. In all honesty though, buying ram that runs at Cas 18 @ 3200 for a Ryzen rig is not the best decision that you could have made.

Back
Top Bottom