confused or what?

Associate
A friend brought me her PC with problems it a packerd bell , basically the PC has 2 user accounts and has an expired Norton INTERNET program , at least a year out of date. under the wifes account i loaded antispyware program and found 800 cookies ,Trojans , etc and also loaded avast anti virus ,windows firewall .
Norton refuses to unload via uninstall and when i tried to load a legal copy of office 2007 student it runs into probs , so what is going on ?.
the husbands account does not sow the antisyware program in task bar so is it only working on the wifes account and he still has the viruses , also he loaded adobe 9 and he says he thinks it failed to load properly as he gets errors when opening it , also if you click on the adobe desktop button the desk top reverts to a basic setting as if you had just put in a new graphics card and not loaded the drivers so what gives ? . sorry for all the long winded word but if some one can help i would be very pleased:confused:

Associate
reinstall.

or try Symantec remove.
Windows removal tool.

Then a reg cleaner, perhaps ccleaner.

Office install, when you say probs, what probs...more info pls.

remove and reinstall adobe.

Any probs, try in safemode.

And before all that BACK UP THE DATA!!!!

Associate
OP
when you load up the PC and go to the wifes account i cleared a load of viruses and tried to load office 2007 and it gets so far and fails stating that it has encountered an error and stops the process and she claims that she cant load any thing . i was able to load avast and super antspyware via usb. if i go to control panel and try to remove Norton it refuses to uninstale again stating an error. if iswitch to the husbands account he had loaded adobe 9 and stated that it had not loaded properly and if i click on the adobe tab the desktop reverts to a 800x800 setting like there are no graphics drivers.he also states that the PC was in safe mode witch the PC tells him, could it be that his account which is the added on one be corrupt and effecting her account ?

Associate
OP
the PC has 2 accounts both with administrator privileges i loaded an ant virus avast program and removed Norton and McGee , i also loaded cc cleaner and was unable to uninstall adobe 9 or some other programs with the error stating that the windows installer was corrupt or it was in safe mode . i reloaded the latest win installer from Microsoft via the registry and still it wont install , it is a Packard bell and i may have to restore to factory setting , any advice anyone ?

Associate
OP
looks like a format is the only option , my next problem is that they are using win xp home , they have the codes ok but no discs for home itake it that my xp pro disc wont work with their home codes ?

Soldato
As others have said, format it.

I take it that my xp pro disc wont work with their home codes?

Unfortunately no it wont. You need an XP Home OEM disk to use with their CD Key on the COA. Before you format I would make an image of the hard drive so you can revert back should anything go horribly wrong. Then just backup all the documents you can to a pen drive/USB hard drive (pictures, music, documents etc.) to put back after the format.

Don't bother with Norton, I would use XPs firewall & Microsofts newly released free anti-virus/spyware, Microsoft Security Essentials :). Are they behind a router?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
im going fot the format meatball is helping with a cd of xp home but any seriel numbers i put in for the pc ie packerd bell wont work it is fitted with a ga-8i915pm motherboaed but i cant find drivers for it only ver 1 , would ? these work ? some times you wonder weather doing up old pc,s are worth it for people.

Back
Top Bottom