Connecting 2 Airports.......? WDS Network?

Soldato
Guys

I use the new Airport Extreme Base Station with my NTL Modem, and recently bought a second machine (Windows Bases).

Now this doesn't have any wireless capabilities, so I decided to use an old Airport Extreme Base Station (The cone shaped one).

The NEW Base station doesn't have any WDS option, only remotely thing I can see is 'Allow Network To Be Extended'

The OLD one does have the option and requires the NEW router's MAC Address.

Nothing I try works, so I'm begging you all....HELP.

Soldato
I've been researching this and my answer is lay a cable.

It halves the speed due to it having to do wireless devices and the base station and it requires both routers to support it.

Not worth it at all TBH!

Soldato
OP
The annoying thing is I was about <--yo--> much away from the Airport with the Ethernet cable I had! :(

Oh well I give up, not having it at all.

Soldato
I have a cable between them!

Bridge mode into the LAN port? (Not the gigabit ports, if you know what I mean...)

Modem --> Airport Extreme --> Time Capsule [in Bridge mode]

I currently have

Modem --> Netgear Router --> Airport Extreme [in Bridge mode]

Working fine...

Soldato
Been there, done that.

I shall experiment further at the weekend when I have more time.

What doesn't exactly work?

I think i may of confused myself lol

So they are connected and what your trying to achieve is that your wireless devices seemlessly change from one to the other when required?

Commissario
A bit more testing has shown me that I can get it to connect wirelessly (the problem before was that I didn't have the MAC addresses of the Airport in the Time Capsule to allow access) but that way it connects via 2.4GHz and extends the 2.4GHz range which is rubbish. I want to connect via Ethernet and extend either the 2.4GHz or the 5.0GHz wireless, or ideally both.

Soldato
Feek connect it via Ethernet, turn off all the routing stuff on the AirPort Extreme (have it in access point mode) and just set it up with the same security and with the same SSID as the Time Capsule. Your computers will then automatically connect to the access point with the strongest signal and roam between them automatically. There's no need to mess around doing anything special.

Commissario
I've got there now, thanks Olly.

The trick was not to tell the Airport Extreme to extend the network but just to put it in bridge mode with the two SSIDs/passwords the same as the Time Capsule and now it all seems to be connecting OK.

Of course, it's speed limited by the fact that I'm not running gigabit from upstairs to downstairs but it's significantly faster now that I'm sitting two yards from the access point :)

Back
Top Bottom