Connecting Gentle Typhoons in new build

Soldato
I have some Gentle Typhoon fans I am thinking of using in my new build. Will I be able to control them via my motherboard? Can say three be connected to one header? They aren't PWM.

zbsvW7T.jpg

Ug9Qamd.jpg
zbsvW7T

zbsvW7T

Last edited:
Soldato
They should work just fine with voltage control.
And with that very low current draw you could connect five of them to most connectors which have 1A max current.

Soldato
OP
They should work just fine with voltage control.
And with that very low current draw you could connect five of them to most connectors which have 1A max current.

So is it the Rated current I look at? I saw 0.360A (Starting current) and wondered it that would exceed the max current with a few of them.

They work well on radiators so seems a shame not to use them. Sadly the cables aren't sleeved.

Soldato
Now that's a nice mess with three different current values...
Current limit should mainly come from heating effect of current, so higher few seconds spike is likely OK.
Definitely at least three fans should be perfectly safe.

Soldato
OP
Now that's a nice mess with three different current values...
Current limit should mainly come from heating effect of current, so higher few seconds spike is likely OK.
Definitely at least three fans should be perfectly safe.

Yes is a bit strange. Came from a group. buy off another forum. Took 12 months before I them, flooding at the factory then some drama over who was processing the large order. They'd apparently stopped making the 1800rpm version so only took minimum order to make them again. I've got 6 of them so may as well use them.

Soldato
While Gentle Typhoon 12B6AP draw only 0.123amps when running, but when starting up they can draw up to 0.530amps at startup. Anyone who doesn't believe me can look it up on Nidec-Servo websiste.

Soldato
OP
While Gentle Typhoon 12B6AP draw only 0.123amps when running, but when starting up they can draw up to 0.530amps at startup. Anyone who doesn't believe me can look it up on Nidec-Servo websiste.

Yes just looking again and I have 6 fans. Two are the AP15 1850RPM version and four are the 2150RPM version that were the special order, probably account for the higher current draw.

Hmm may have to rethink how I use them then...

Soldato
Yes just looking again and I have 6 fans. Two are the AP15 1850RPM version and four are the 2150RPM version that were the special order, probably account for the higher current draw.

Hmm may have to rethink how I use them then...
All fans draw 3-4 times as much power starting up as when running .. they also draw that same extreme load if bearing locks up of something stops the impeller. It's why most mobo fan header failures are when starting computer with multiple fans on single header.

Soldato
OP
All fans draw 3-4 times as much power starting up as when running .. they also draw that same extreme load if bearing locks up of something stops the impeller. It's why most mobo fan header failures are when starting computer with multiple fans on single header.

Makes sense thanks, so are you saying only connect one to a header or alternatively connect them some other controller?

Soldato
Makes sense thanks, so are you saying only connect one to a header or alternatively connect them some other controller?
You can probably run 2 on a header. But I have idea what your fan headers are rated for. I can say I've never seen one that was not rated for at least 1 amp.

Soldato
OP
Brilliant fans are the GT’s. Haven’t found anything which comes close in terms of performance/noise.

7v molex works well if you want to lower the RPM and run them static.

I have realised I have a Phanteks fan hub. May try that, ideally want them to only ramp up if necessary. How do you find they compare with Noctua?

Soldato
I have realised I have a Phanteks fan hub. May try that, ideally want them to only ramp up if necessary. How do you find they compare with Noctua?
If you have the PWM controlled Phanteks fan hub for 3-pin fans it should work very well with your GTs. GTs perform about the same as Noctua fans .. depending on which model fan you are comparing to. Their newish NF-A12x25 are probably the best of the best right now, but also very expensive. GTs have ball bearing so there is a slight whurring sound from the balls rolling in their races, but that is if you get your ear right up close to them .. or use a stethoscope. :p

Soldato

Yep be just as well to give them a go on the fan controller. Saying that, I find them so much more pleasant to sit close to, I wouldn’t hesitate leaving them at 7 or 12v if it makes a neater cabling job.

I don’t have a Noctua fan here to compare it to but I’d take a guess at the GT’s edging in front with the fin design. Only downside is as you’ve said, the cables are unsleeved. I bought some para cord to do mine which worked nicely but if doing them again I’d go with nylon braid.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Compared to Noctua NF-F12, GT's are significantly better. Both quieter and push more air. Against the newer NF-A12, I reckon it'd be a dead heat up to bearing noise where the noctua would probably win as dual ball bearings definitely have a very slight whirr to them as Doyll said.

Soldato
OP
Compared to Noctua NF-F12, GT's are significantly better. Both quieter and push more air. Against the newer NF-A12, I reckon it'd be a dead heat up to bearing noise where the noctua would probably win as dual ball bearings definitely have a very slight whirr to them as Doyll said.

Luckily my hearing is aging so that may solve one issue :) I'm going to sleeve the nasty wires then control them via DC, should do the job nicely without any extra outlay. Need to put everything towards X570 etc. ! Once I a decent high end GPU I'll look at water cooling it. EK-MLC Phoenix on the CPU should be good enough.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
GT's sleeve quite nicely using 550 paracord.

I got enough for my radiators before they stopped making them. If I'd known they were going to stop making them, I'd have bought a few more.

Back
Top Bottom