Considering a Giant Escape 3 - any similar bikes I should look at instead?

Man of Honour
I've not ridden in many, many years. But we just bought a small Giant Escape 3 for my son's upcoming 11th birthday. He fell in love with it at a local independant shop and wouldn't consider any other bike. I do need a bike too so we can go out riding together at weekends. I tried the same bike in a larger size and really liked it as well. It brought a smile to my face to be on a bike again.

I'm extremely tempted to get it. But not knowing much about bikes I thought it best to seek advice here. Are there others I should look at for a similar £280 price?

Background and Use

I've not ridden properly since I was a kid at school (I'm now 48). So I don't need anything expensive at this point. £300 is about my budget.

I expect I'll be riding mainly on the road and occasionally on light trails at weekends. I doubt I'd be using it for serious off road work so something really rugged probably isn't needed.

Thanks.

Soldato
Purely looking at hybrids in Halfords, I would look at in descending order...
Voodoo Marasa
Bordman Hybrid Comp 2016 (albeit limited sizes available now as EOL)
Carrara Subway 2

£400-350 before 10% British Cycling membership discount.

The Marasa has been as cheap as £320 before discount recently and its 12Kg default weight could easily be knocked down to closer to ~11Kg by swapping out the supplied tyres and perhaps the tubes too. On the flat and downhill, extra weight is no big deal and actually can be an advantage. But going up hills, the lighter you can make you total rider/bike weight, the easier it will be.

The 2017 bikes should all be beginning to be knocked down in price now, which means if you are patient, you can get some cracking spec deals for whatever your budget is.

Soldato
£280 is a decent price for the Giant really. If you want to save a bit, then these aren't terrible;

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-parva-mens-hybrid-bike

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike

Probably more capable off road with the mountain bike wheels and tyres, but heavier as a result. As UT said, swapping out the tyres can help a lot with that. Disc brakes can be a bit more consistent in wet weather but they require a bit more involved maintenance. Higher speed groupset will have less big jumps in between the gears and make it easier for you to find a gear you can comfortably spin in any given situation. If you'd said you wanted to go on regular rides over around an hour then I might have suggested something different.

Man of Honour
OP
Whilst it's on offer at £300, it's definitely a better buy than the giant for the £20 price difference.

With quidco cashback at Halfords it's actually £285 which is even better. I just need to find a Halfords which has it in stock to try the size.

Not sure if I can stack the 10% discount for British Cycling membership and also quidco. But worth a try if I can confirm my size.

Man of Honour
OP
Right... I reserved a Voodoo Marasa for collection tomorrow after trying one. I did prefer the look of the Giant Escape (less bling) but the Voodoo is cheaper with better components so it will do for me.

I'll get the 10% British Cycling discount and hopefully an additional 4% discount via quidco for in-shop purchases. So after cashback, if it does stack, it's £260 which seems a bargain.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom