Considering a new car

Soldato
Those that read my thread a couple of weeks ago, i'm due to start my placement job in July for 14 months, and I need to drive.

My Mum has kindly agreed to lend me her Micra, if needed, for the year (obv insurance under my name etc etc), but I can't help but want something better.

Idealy, i'd like to spend up to a MAX £4k on car + insurance. I've made a little shortlist bellow of cars i've picked with costs and ins group.

I'd like something family saloon sized, as i'll occasionally have trecks from Sheffield to Leeds or Nottingham to see family/friends so comfort is important, and maybe a bit sporty.

Any suggestions would be grealy appreciated guys! :)

Nissan Almera GTi (1999 T) ~£1,700 - Grp 14
Nissan Primera GT (1999 T) ~£1,800 - Grp 9 (Apparently :confused: )
Ford Mondeo ST24 (1999 T/V) ~£2,500 - Grp 16

ob1

ob1

Associate
The Gt will have the best handling there, its IG 15 I think, only 150bhp but makes the most of it and its a really good price.

Thats the one I'd choose straight off, its a pretty big car

The other two look good choices also

Soldato
how about a new shape mondeo TDCI 130bhp, X-03 plate, 243 ft lb torque :D good performance and economical and you can chuck them round corners too, 0-62 in 9.4 seconds, oh, and the 30 to 70 is really good for overtaking, group 12-13 insurance, win win all round. You should easily find one in your budget.

also, high mileage examples will usually have done motorway miles so the engine will have had a easy life ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
wez130 said:
how about a new shape mondeo TDCI 130bhp, X-03 plate, 243 ft lb torque :D good performance and economical and you can chuck them round corners too, 0-62 in 9.4 seconds, oh, and the 30 to 70 is really good for overtaking, group 12-13 insurance, win win all round. You should easily find one in your budget.

No you won't and they didn't come out on an X plate either.

Of all the cars listed, I'd take the ST24 easily - although the Primera GT is almost as good although it's only a 4 cylinder car and whilst the Mondeo interior isn't award winning it's at least acceptbale whereas the one in the Primera is godawful. The Almera is rubbish in comparison so don't waste your time thinking about it any further, there are nil reasons to buy Almera GTi over Primera GT.

Personally though as an all round package I think its very hard to beat a Mondeo for this money. And I'd rather have a decent, mint ST24 than trying to scrape a scabby early Mk3.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
gobbo said:
Those that read my thread a couple of weeks ago, i'm due to start my placement job in July for 14 months, and I need to drive.

My Mum has kindly agreed to lend me her Micra, if needed, for the year (obv insurance under my name etc etc), but I can't help but want something better.

Idealy, i'd like to spend up to a MAX £4k on car + insurance. I've made a little shortlist bellow of cars i've picked with costs and ins group.

I'd like something family saloon sized, as i'll occasionally have trecks from Sheffield to Leeds or Nottingham to see family/friends so comfort is important, and maybe a bit sporty.

Any suggestions would be grealy appreciated guys! :)

Nissan Almera GTi (1999 T) ~£1,700 - Grp 14
Nissan Primera GT (1999 T) ~£1,800 - Grp 9 (Apparently :confused: )
Ford Mondeo ST24 (1999 T/V) ~£2,500 - Grp 16

Mondeo ST24s are that cheap over there :eek:

Soldato
OP
Only considered the Almera GTi as I've had a ride in one and quite like it, although you don't get as much kit, might have to test drive one and see.

I think it's going to be a close call between Primera GT and Mondy ST24, price different on purchse and insurance is around £500 more than Primera GT, but i've seen plenty of T/V/X St24's on autotrader for between £2k-2.5K.

If i do test drive one fox, is there anything major I should be looking for?

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Yea its is, he is only crying cause not eveyone loves rovers.

I thought his statment was wrong :)
And Scoobs sounds great and they are only 4 cylinder :p

Down here the ST24 costs 12000-14000AUD :eek:
To put that in perspective, 2500 pounds is about 6000AUD

You can see where my money would be going if i was him

Man of Honour
gobbo said:
If i do test drive one fox, is there anything major I should be looking for?

Need to dash off now so no time for an enormous great post but... make sure it stops properly as sometimes people put the subframe on wrong when they've changed the clutch. Also it should get noticeably faster at about 3500rpm when the secondaries open up, if it doesnt or it feels sluggish they just need a clean but it'll make the car feel slower.

Should handle nicely - if it handles vaguely and rolls around the dampers have had it..

Try and get a V plate onwards model with black B pillars if you can as these have uprated waterpump, heated seats. Also the interior is a little nicer on 1999 onwards cars.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Also it should get noticeably faster at about 3500rpm when the secondaries open up, if it doesnt or it feels sluggish they just need a clean but it'll make the car feel slower.

Or the IMRC has failed which is about £140.

And make sure to get a metal water pump fitted if it hasn't already got one.

Soldato
OP
Well I went today to test drive an Almera GTi, wasn't too bad. Cabin felt out dated, seats were pretty comfy, engine pulled pretty well.

Just didn't do anything, didn't jump out at me at all.

Soldato
OP
Update:

Test drove a 1998 S ST24 today, and it was shockingly bad. Steering was pulling to the right, there was no power at all, 2nd gear, 30mph, foot down.....and nothing. The interiour was wrecked, all in all a dog of a car. Listed as 70k, but it looked clocked to me, as the bodywork/interiour looked like it had done 140k.

Going to (hopefully) have a look at a 99 T St24 soonish, 63k, looks in very good condition, just gotta try and get to Leicester to have a look at it now!

Man of Honour
gobbo said:
Update:

Test drove a 1998 S ST24 today, and it was shockingly bad. Steering was pulling to the right, there was no power at all, 2nd gear, 30mph, foot down.....and nothing. The interiour was wrecked, all in all a dog of a car. Listed as 70k, but it looked clocked to me, as the bodywork/interiour looked like it had done 140k.

Dear oh dear. They should wear reasonably well so if you get one which feels like it's done many more miles than it is showing, it almost certainly has.

Back
Top Bottom