Considering a Pre-built - Max Budget £550

Associate
I can't be bothered with building it myself, or if I risk busting something, having to call folks up or replace it.

I've spent about 15,000 years checking many websites for pre-builts on my budget, but naturally something in the line up looks very bad. Like bad power supplies, bad memory, or weak graphics passed off as real powerful - when in reality they aren't.

Looking at Overclockers stuff, some of the pre-builts look good, but regardless of whether or not the processor/mobo can handle any overclocking, stock cooling is a no no for me.

I don't mind the FX-4100 either. I know they're bad at single threaded applications and are still weak on the multi-threaded side in comparison to Intel's similarly priced i3/i5's, but I'm not that bothered. I'm sure, from an enthusiasts point of view it's going to be jaw droppingly bad but I see others playing BF3 and Skyrim quite happily on those processors.

For me, I intend to play Skyrim at full HD, or perhaps less, maybe 1680x1050, but I won't be playing Battlefield 3, since I own it on PS3 and it's quite fun on there.

My main focus is RPGs. Indie games. Minecraft. Torchlight 2. But I do play more intensive 3D titles, such as Oblivion GOTY, (Skyrim, at some point), Dead Island, STALKER, Empire: Total War, maybe Shogun 2, etc

I know the card is important. If I can get a GT 550 ti or an AMD equivilant it's all good.

My main concern as of right now is the lack of imformation OCUK seem to provide on their pre-builts. I.e. board manufacturer and model. I don't want to OC something and then smell burnt VRMs.

Also... any indication as to what compound they use, or do they simply use the cheap nasty stuff?

Thanks for any help.

Associate
The FX CPU is not that bad. It's not as great as a i3 in some tasks but it can be a valuable option. The processor is capable of playing battlefield 3 and Skyrim. It's also unlocked so you can overclock it to hopefully get even better performance if you wished to.

Here are Skyrim benchmarks for the fx 4100 and i3: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-2100-gaming-benchmark,3136-7.html

The benchmarks show that both processors are rather evenly matched but on the ultra settings the i3 gets a 10FPS extra over the FX, which is not a massive amount.

If you where going to get that FX-4100 I would personally get an AMD graphics card for an AMD setup (but that's just how I roll :p)

The compound they use is probably the stock that comes with the cooler in the low/mid end builds.

Associate
OP
Well I figured the FX-4100 not to be that bad. Whenever someone sees benchmarks and the FX-4100 is way down the list... it's benchmarks. Throw a semi-decent GPU in there, an why wouldn't it perform well? I also blame Windows 7 for the way it calls upon threads, or whatever. I read it somewhere.

I too like to bundle AMD ATI together. Having Intel ATI, or Nvidia and AMD processors together is like having chocolate with a roast dinner. lol

I was just wondering, if the mobo is decent, and won't pop when I OC the FX-4100, the 550Watt PSUs are enough, an there is some sort of upgradability available, then I'm considering getting one from OCUK.

Seems stupid if they put naffo paste if you opt for a different cooler.

I'd of considered the Titan 8000a Krypt if I knew what the mobo was capable of and a 6770 was available for use, however the only other option is a 6850, which is... more expensive. The mainboard is the main concern though. If the board doesn't like overclocking, an has something like phase 4+1 isn't that a bad thing?

Edit: May consider the Titan 8000a Krypt with the 6850. Is the Panther CPU cooler any good? I will likely OC the FX-4100 and I don't want the mobo buggering up.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
When does the offer actually end for the free PSU upgrade? And the small price reduction on the Titan 8000a?

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you considered building yourself? Its quite straight forward, you say a bit of money and you get the components you want.

Weekly offers start/end on Wednesdays, so you've got a week on that system.

The PSU offer I'm not so sure about, I'd ask here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116

For a system with an FX-4100 and a 6850, 550W is plenty of power.The 6850 is a great value card tbh (better than a 550Ti).

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

Radeon HD 6850 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 450 Watt power supply unit.
Radeon HD 6870 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/10

550Ti vs 6850

Associate
OP
I have considered it before but to be honest I don't wish to risk anything. I get all OCD when it comes to things like that, an the last time I changed my CPU cooler in my gaming rig I bought in 2009, I reseated the cooler so many times I got annoyed at myself lol.

I know I can save a small sum buying it myself, but I'd rather not take any chances, an I just like the peace of mind of having it done for me.

Any ideas what mobo is supplied with this? An how will it overclock, as I've said I don't want anything going pop.

Apparently the FX bulldozers OC really well and stable on stock voltage so even the temps after a moderate OC aren't high, so I'd be okay with that Panther up to 4Ghz, right? - even with dodgy paste?

Are all of the components branded? Say the memory dies 13 months later, outside of the warranty, if the option to ring the manufacturer up and say "OI your RAM died on me! GIVE ME SOME MORE!", it would be an added plus lol.

I'm still one of those people who think PCs are very expensive, but I'd be willing to the get the Krypt with a 6850, if I knew what the components were. I also like the 8gb RAM in that system :)

Thanks

FX

Soldato
The mobo probably isn't the same for each of the lower end gaming rigs they put together, or is subject to change, so they don't specify exact models.

Make a post in the customer services section or contact ocuk via webnote on the shop site with your questions.

Btw, you could buy the system without a gpu and then order you own choice separately.

Associate
OP
I think I'll just get the Titan 8000a Krypt with the 6850, sometime soon. Kinda short on cash the at moment, but if those offers end tonight, then I'll have to rush about.

Associate
OP
Just ordered the Krypt, however I didn't see anywhere how I am to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro when it comes out for "14.99".

I imagine that is dealt with a bit later?

Hopefully all goes well, an all the parts listened on the page is what I get. Joy!

Got the 6850 in there. Should be plenty for a 1680x1050 screen. BOO YAR! :)

Associate
OP
So I wait, it seems.

:) I really do hope I get the MSI 6850 OC. Naturally I want everything on the store front that I saw (apart from the change I made to the graphic card).

Very excited lol.

Associate
OP
Ye my old rig, which I sold in November 2011, to get a laptop, due to a lack of space in a new place I live, had a 1GB 4870, amazing video card. Had an OC'd Phenom II X4 955BE at 3.8Ghz on a Crosshair III Formula as well. That cost £950, but it was well good.

This on the other hand, I should be pleased with. I am rather excited, I just hope all goes well and nothing is damaged/missing - I always seem to be unlucky. I'm glad I picked that 6850 as well, it has some good reviews for a card of it's price.

Back
Top Bottom