1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a small upgrade...but what

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by snips86x, Oct 22, 2019.

1. snips86x

Capodecina

I have a budget of £500-550 and I have been considering the following options:

1) New CPU/RAM/Mobo

My basket at Overclockers UK:
    Total: £565.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

2) New GPU

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kfa2...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-0a5-kf.html

As you can see from my sig, my spec isn't bad and in reality, still pulling 90+fps in Destiny 2 (peaks at 144fps capped, frequently) and my CPU is still holding its own at 4.5ghz. My initial thought is new GPU (something I've been considering for a while now) but my upgrade itch says otherwise...probably looking to get something at the end of the month.

2. ExRayTed

Underboss

Honestly? I'd wait until next year but as you've got the itch then a new GPU. You'll be disappointed I think in the small improvement in games with mobo/cpu/ram, unless you use the pc for anything else that'll use the cores?

3. snips86x

Capodecina

Not really no. Mostly gaming and the occasional light rooms edit.

4. snips86x

Capodecina

I've been keeping half an eye on the gpu forum for details on new releases, about March next year isn't it?

5. theforce

Wise Guy

I would wait for Nvidia's 7nm solution before upgrading the GPU. Your 980Ti is no slouch.

From what l remember, Q1 which most probably means March. As for the processor upgrade, that Haswell still has some life in it. You have Zen3, which is rumoured to provide decent IPC gains along with some frequency improvements and Intel's 10th generation coming out in 2020. Hang in there and start saving :D

6. snips86x

Capodecina

Nah, my gpu is still pulling punches, that's for sure.

Haha, damn it!! I guess I'll have too then :D

7. EsaT

Soldato

While enough for 65W TDP CPU that motherboard isn't worth its price considering its outdated design and very mediocre CPU VRM.
    Asus Prime X570-P has lot stronger and more efficient cooler running modern design VRM.
    It doesn't even cost more.
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-6dp-as.html

Prices are just no doubt going to be even more expensive considering how people have lined up and bent over.

8. snips86x

Capodecina

Noted, thanks. I'm not keen on the colour scheme though lol

I was actually considering getting a 2080Ti once the new 30xx cards have dropped as they'll drop heavily in price. That or grab a 2070S anyway...I'm undecided still but will wait for news on what's to come in the new year.