Considering an AIO water cooler - some advice pls.

Associate
I'm about to build a 5800X system in a Phanteks Evolv X case to replace my old 3770K!

I was going to use the NH-D15 chromax black. However, I am now considering an AIO solution such as the Corsair H150I.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...id-cpu-cooler-360mm-cw-9060048-hs-042-cs.html

Would this unit fit comfortably in the Evolv X case? I would want to mount the radiator in the traditional position horizontally at the top of the case.

Is the installation relatively straightforward? I only have experience with air coolers, so this is a new world to me.

Also, if anyone has any recommended alternatives, that would be great. I'd like to go for a good quality unit that will last for several years and hopefully through another future build/upgrade.

I quite like the AIOs because of the cleaner look of the case, and I could also get some RGB RAM modules!

Last edited:
Associate
Is the installation relatively straightforward? I only have experience with air coolers, so this is a new world to me.

Also, if anyone has any recommended alternatives, that would be great. I'd like to go for a good quality unit that will last for several years and hopefully through another future build/upgrade.

The Arctic Freezer 2 is the best AIO for the money, but if you want RGB then the one you’ve selected is fine.

Installation is easy and you’ll see better temps over air. Your case will support top mounting it, which is ideal for gaming.

arctic 360 in the front

Front mount is bad for gaming.

Associate
Radiator in the front put the rad tube connection postion at the bottom this will stop air collecting in the pump.

Any proof that this is the better approach?

If you front mount the AIO, you're feeding 50-70c air into the case, which increases the ambient temp for your GPU, chipset, RAM and CPU. If you're gaming, this will trigger throttling.

If you top mount the AIO, you're feeding 20c temp into the cause, which creates a lower ambient temp for all components.

Only situation where you might want to front mount an AIO is if your main use-case is CPU heavy workloads.

Soldato
Radiator in the front put the rad tube connection postion at the bottom this will stop air collecting in the pump.

I used to think this myself after watching the Gamers Nexus video. Then i found this video that explained it better (IMO).

Still prefer to top mount radiators myself though.

Man of Honour
Yea, if you front mount then tubes at the bottom, that's the correct approach - for top it doesn't matter as there's only one option, but doesn't explain why you'd suggest front mounting it instead of top.
I didnt i was explaining the tube situation but now you asked ill explain

Having the rad at the front draws cool air over the radiator Thos is more effective at cooling the Cpu but theres a trade off, gpu temps can increase due to the warm air in the case.

Associate
Any proof that this is the better approach?

If you front mount the AIO, you're feeding 50-70c air into the case, which increases the ambient temp for your GPU, chipset, RAM and CPU. If you're gaming, this will trigger throttling.

If you top mount the AIO, you're feeding 20c temp into the cause, which creates a lower ambient temp for all components.

where do you get 50-70C air from. The air that comes through an AIO isn't warmed up that much. It does not trigger throttling

Associate
Depending on the fan layout, front AIO is fine. Had.mine with the radiator's inlet down. The best scenario for the CPU. For the GPU, unless the air passing through the reservoir is very hot, which isn't, unless there's a problem with the AIO, wouldn't hurt the GPU, unless the GPU doesn't receive enough air. For the other components, even the air from the back of my 3090 is better than no airflow. Just make sure air moves fast inside the case and you're fine.
My setup I use the AIO at the side (O11 air), intake, front and bottom intake. Top and rear exhaust.
With so much intake, all fans can be at inaudible 30-35%, while top is at 40%. During games, increasing the speeds in 5% would return optimal performance, while keeping reasonable quiet. No perceptible improvement going much faster than that.

Back
Top Bottom