Considering buying high-end PC, could I get some opinions please?

Soldato
1st thing....you cant link to a competitor.

2nd...spend the money and build it yourself.

£900 will get you a lot better spec from ocuk than the bay.

Soldato
Yup. Agreed. That sort of money will get an amazing system here. And, I don't always trust everything from eBay. For a start, you don't need the i7 950. i7 920 is just as good. 4GB of RAM with that i7 is stupid, as it's a tri channel processor. What kind of graphics card is that for such a good processor? And also, it doesn't say what make the PSU is. It could fry your system with 1 hour for all you know. Especially as it isn't listed as a separate component.

If you want, we can spec you something for around £900?

You want that?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry, I am new to this forum, posted hastily, and didn't make the link between you and the oc shop. Shall I delete the above information?

I have built my current, dated pc 5 years ago, and to be honest with you, it may have saved money, but it was a major hassle, and this time, I really really want there to be a company responsible for the entire pc in case of faultiness, with a minimum 1 year warranty.

I will investigate your shop now, and if you wouldn't mind specing me something for the 800-900 price range that would be hugely appreciated! I am ideally looking for the HD 4890 with an X-cooler on it, or a Radeon card of similar performance with an X-cooler. As far as I can tell, Radeon seem to largely seem to offer better value and quietness than Nvidea cards. I'm really not sure about Vista, whether it'll be worth the cash. Other than that, I'm set on an i7 processor, and a mobo with at least 2x16 crossfire, and obviously with massive overclocking potential. I really would like to keep the costs down a bit by getting no more than 4GB of DD3.

Last edited:
Soldato
As schizo said, you should remove that link asap (listing the full specs of the PC in your post is fine).

However, after looking at that PC it looks a bit poop, unless it is for video editing only.
Here are the reasons:
1) He uses an i7 950, these chips are the same as the £210 920s, but with a touch higher multiplier. If you bumped the BCLK of the 920 up a touch you would immediately have a 950 for no extra money.
2) It uses 4GB of RAM (dual channel), but I7 can use triple channel RAM.
3) GPU is pretty awful,as you realise.
4) The PSU is only 400W, with no brand/model name given, so it will likely be very cheap. This PSU will not run a 4890.

If you want a gaming PC, buy one off OCUK or build it yourself. Here is an OCUK prebuild which will knock the socks off that ebay one.

Associate
OP
The pc you linked is very appealing. However, maybe I'm being over-cautious, but people have said that future generations of games may make those that opted for 2x8 crossfire wish they'd gone for a mobo offering 2x16. Other than that, I'm really set on a Radeon 4890.

If I could just get the 'Titan' pc with it's current offer price, just adjusted by having a mobo offering 2x16 crossfire and a Radeon 4890 with an X-cooler, i'd probably buy it. I know I'm being picky, but I really want the option of getting a second a these cards running at x16 in the future, it would give the pc a large lifespan of keeping up with the high-end games.

Associate
OP
Hmm, well the benchmarking charts show similar results for 2x8 crossfire compared to 2x16 anyway, this is a tough one. I'm considering either a modified 'Tempest' or a modified 'Vanquish'.

For the staff here at oc, are HD4890's with X-coolers (ideally a Sapphire) available extras with any of the PCs? I ask here, because at least one member of staff has already picked up on this thread

Thanks for helping me narrow down the search guys!

Soldato
In the product page for the "Titan Tempest" (and all OCUK PCs) it says:

Note - Specification not exactly what you are after? Drop our friendly Sales Team a call on 0871 910 9101, they will be more than happy to help you make your perfect system.

With that in mind, you should be able to call the dudes at OCUK and request the GPU change to this (or whatever you like).

Soldato
The pc you linked is very appealing. However, maybe I'm being over-cautious, but people have said that future generations of games may make those that opted for 2x8 crossfire wish they'd gone for a mobo offering 2x16. Other than that, I'm really set on a Radeon 4890.

If I could just get the 'Titan' pc with it's current offer price, just adjusted by having a mobo offering 2x16 crossfire and a Radeon 4890 with an X-cooler, i'd probably buy it. I know I'm being picky, but I really want the option of getting a second a these cards running at x16 in the future, it would give the pc a large lifespan of keeping up with the high-end games.

Or...just buy the parts you want, and build it yourself. Means you get exactly what you want =)

Associate
OP
I know, I know, I built one in the past, but I'm leading a stressful life right now, and I just want that piece of mind of knowing that for at least a year, if anything goes wrong, there'll be someone to help me with it for no extra charge.

I will seriously consider the OC shop and their competitively priced rigs in a few months time. For now though, I'm going to upgrade my current pc to a competent level with value in mind. Having been away from gaming for a while, I'm shocked to see just how cheap DDR2 is these days. I'll get a fairly decent card and some new memory and keep this one ticking over while I save up.

Thanks then!

Soldato
I know, I know, I built one in the past, but I'm leading a stressful life right now, and I just want that piece of mind of knowing that for at least a year, if anything goes wrong, there'll be someone to help me with it for no extra charge.

I will seriously consider the OC shop and their competitively priced rigs in a few months time. For now though, I'm going to upgrade my current pc to a competent level with value in mind. Having been away from gaming for a while, I'm shocked to see just how cheap DDR2 is these days. I'll get a fairly decent card and some new memory and keep this one ticking over while I save up.

Thanks then!

We'll be able to help you with it for no extra charge... also you'll have warranties on each individual component, cuts down on the hassle of sending the whole thing back and being without your computer for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom