Considering Replacing my Car

Soldato
I've currently got a 2002 MK6 Fiesta 1.4TDCI with 124,800k on the clock and I swear by it. It's reliable, nippy, cheap to run at 65+mpg, tax low (£90) and for the 4 MOT's it's had while I've had it, it's gone through each time with just the need to give a little race to clean the exhaust out.

With the common knowledge that Diesels run for a very very long time and the fact that most 2nd hand vehicles are running EURO-4 engines, would it be such a bad thing that I look to replace my current car with another high mileage vehicle?

I wouldn't normally consider this, but I've just found a '57 VW Passat Estate 2.0TDI for £7k with 83k on the clock and I love it. My only concern is the mileage which it has covered being higher than when I bought my Fiesta. Should I be worried, knowing VW's are one of the best or would it be fine.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Associate
Around 14k miles per year for that VW is not really high mileage. So you shouldn't worry.

Soldato
I don't think that 2.0 TDi is very reliable.

In my small office 2 people had these (I know this doesn't mean all suffer :) ) but one blew its turbo at around 70k and the other needed a new engine just recently after the balance shaft went. Both people have went elsewhere for new cars.

I know its not the best guide for overall reliability but its put me off these completely.

Maybe do some proper digging into the engine? I think a petrol is likely to be better for you.

Diesels don't run for a very very long time :)

Edit: Honest John is usually good guide: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/passat-2005/?section=bad

Soldato
I did wonder if a 2ltr diesel was a good idea and after some hunting around, there are better vehicles out there with less mileage around the same price. Due to the amount of driving i do, a diesel is the better option. Local journeys are infrequent, most of our travelling is long distance.

I also budget my fuel for the month and if I were to change to petrol, that would impact my budget as I currently get 65mpg which is roughly 420/30 to the tank, depending on how long I leave till top up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom