Considering Replacing my Car

Soldato
I've currently got a 2002 MK6 Fiesta 1.4TDCI with 124,800k on the clock and I swear by it. It's reliable, nippy, cheap to run at 65+mpg, tax low (£90) and for the 4 MOT's it's had while I've had it, it's gone through each time with just the need to give a little race to clean the exhaust out.

With the common knowledge that Diesels run for a very very long time and the fact that most 2nd hand vehicles are running EURO-4 engines, would it be such a bad thing that I look to replace my current car with another high mileage vehicle?

I wouldn't normally consider this, but I've just found a '57 VW Passat Estate 2.0TDI for £7k with 83k on the clock and I love it. My only concern is the mileage which it has covered being higher than when I bought my Fiesta. Should I be worried, knowing VW's are one of the best or would it be fine.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Soldato
I don't think that 2.0 TDi is very reliable.

In my small office 2 people had these (I know this doesn't mean all suffer :) ) but one blew its turbo at around 70k and the other needed a new engine just recently after the balance shaft went. Both people have went elsewhere for new cars.

I know its not the best guide for overall reliability but its put me off these completely.

Maybe do some proper digging into the engine? I think a petrol is likely to be better for you.

Diesels don't run for a very very long time :)

Edit: Honest John is usually good guide: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/passat-2005/?section=bad

Soldato
OP
I did wonder if a 2ltr diesel was a good idea and after some hunting around, there are better vehicles out there with less mileage around the same price. Due to the amount of driving i do, a diesel is the better option. Local journeys are infrequent, most of our travelling is long distance.

I also budget my fuel for the month and if I were to change to petrol, that would impact my budget as I currently get 65mpg which is roughly 420/30 to the tank, depending on how long I leave till top up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom