Constant 12v power supply under bonnet of E39?

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;21675587 said:
Can't remember off hand but under £200.

Still very pricey then! Will need to save up a bit of cash.

I am looking at putting some 17" style 71's (only because I have found a nice professionally refurbed set including tyres). I would love style 49's but they're so difficult to find. As my E39 is the non-sport version of the E39, I will need to lower the car quite a bit, however I do not at have enough money to do this right now (was thinking a bilstein B6/H&R spring set-up). The car at the moment has the disgusting 15" style 31's (would love to get rid of these asap.. it ruins the look and considering the amount I have spent to try and make it look 'good' it seems a shame) - do you think by switching to 17" wheels it would make the car look too much like a 4x4?

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately I have already bought my projectors and LED rings so no going back now!

*cries* :(

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;21678178 said:
What? Seriously?

Yes, when you're 19 and on a student salary it is :)

Is this an E39 M5 or something? It is a lot of work for an old saloon.

No, it's a 523i - a lot of work yes, but the car has sentimental value to me (it used to belong to my mum until she passed away, and is one of the only things I remember of her as I was 11 at the time. It was 'her' car and she loved it from new. She fell totally paralysed and unable to breathe for 4 years prior to that, so my memories are very faint).

I felt that I could either spend £2k or so on a clio/corsa with a 1.2/1.4 engine, or spend it repairing the E39 which was in very good condition, owned from new, and low mileage for the age. I'd probably get bored of the 1.2/1.4 very quickly whereas my insurance for this 523i is much cheaper having owned it since 1997.

Nice looking car, cheaper insurance, low mileage, reliable, comfortable.

Mainly personal things but there we go. It may not mean anything to anyone else, but it means a lot to me. It isn't the fastest car in the world by any means, but it's fine for me :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes, when you're 19 and on a student salary it is :)

But not in the context of your project it's not. You've spent a small fortune restoring the exterior of that car and it's going to look fantastic when it's done. Don't crown it with a dog turd, use a cherry instead.

Aftermarket lights rarely look good, especially when talking about the E39 because the standard OEM lights on the E39 were the basiss for all the copies anyway - everyone wanted lights that looked as good as the E39 facelift ones once they came out in 2000. They are the original and best!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Hella...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item416461daca

I doubt the aftermarket ones were massively cheaper anyway?

Associate
OP
I don't think they look too bad? One question though, the small 'tabs' around the bottom of the headlights (the OEM ones also have them I think) - what are they for?

P.S Excuse the garage door.. it's knackered lol.

318253_3264163637741_1076750027_3037954_1251711031_n.jpg

Perhaps it was the image as I took it from my phone? Looks far better in real life, the previous picture doesn't do it justice :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
The lights look nice in daylight, not so good, imo, in the dark.

Fair play for keeping the e39 despite what it is (if you see what I mean!)

I love my e39 528i - yes, they are 10 a penny, but this one is a good one - Its been in my family since new.

It's awaiting its MOT & Inspection II on monday, that'll be a hit in the pocket for sure.

The car justifys every penny, as its a good example of an excellent car & worth the expenditure, never mind the sentimental carp ;)

Back
Top Bottom