Consumer rights question glasses bought online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hi i thought i would ask google but then i weighed up the power of GD vs google... :D

I bought new lenses to be put in my frames from a company called reglaze glasses direct and everything went well until i get the new glasses back. My vision was somewhat worse. My prescription needed altering slightly so i asked Reglaze Glasses Direct if they would redo them as my optician had recommended an updated prescription. Reglaze said they would have to charge me again (£120) (effectively treating it like a new order)

I thought i would have more consumer rights given that i had bought them online. It does say on their website 100% guarantee satisfied or money back. Should i just ask for my money back? Pay another £120 to get them reglazed again? or Just live with a slightly worse prescription and they just send me back the glasses as they are?

What does the consumer experts on GD say?

Associate
Surely they did their part of the job correct? How was Reglaze supposed to know you needed a new prescription, they did exactly what you told them to do.

Soldato
OP
Surely they did their part of the job correct? How was Reglaze supposed to know you needed a new prescription, they did exactly what you told them to do.

kinda true. However its the fact they didnt check the lenses and the new prescription compatibility.

the old lenses and the prescription they fitted to the frames was almost identical. I thought because they use opticians etc they would have checks in place. Instead they didnt and removed the old lenses and put the new prescription in which actually made my eyes slightly worse.

Sure i accept that i should have sent a new prescription (the one i sent was about 1 year old) but i was aware of the fact that you have to pay for eyetests if its within the 2 year prescription period. Thats why i thought the 1 year old prescription would be good enough.

I didn't expect to have worse vision and for them not to do a simple check on the old lenses and the prescription they were asked to put in the frames.

Its like they didn't check at all and just blindly replaced the lenses which is fair enough as thats what i asked but whats the point of them being professional opthamologists/opticians etc if they dont notice or check something like this?

Soldato
OP
*update they offered me a refund and they would remove the lenses they put in. So i could go somewhere else to get the glasses done. Of course it leaves me without the use of these glasses. But maybe this is the best option. Though these guys were the cheapest....i could just live with the slightly outdated prescription

Associate
Its like they didn't check at all and just blindly replaced the lenses which is fair enough as thats what i asked but whats the point of them being professional opthamologists/opticians etc if they dont notice or check something like this?
They'll just be a glazing company, and as such can't do anything to alter or modify the glasses prescription (which is why people are often recommended to get glasses from where you get your eyes tested). In reality they didn't have to give you your money back so you've been lucky that you chose to deal with a decent company....probably be nice of you to leave them a good review or something.

Soldato
kinda true. However its the fact they didnt check the lenses and the new prescription compatibility.

the old lenses and the prescription they fitted to the frames was almost identical. I thought because they use opticians etc they would have checks in place. Instead they didnt and removed the old lenses and put the new prescription in which actually made my eyes slightly worse.

Sure i accept that i should have sent a new prescription (the one i sent was about 1 year old) but i was aware of the fact that you have to pay for eyetests if its within the 2 year prescription period. Thats why i thought the 1 year old prescription would be good enough.

I didn't expect to have worse vision and for them not to do a simple check on the old lenses and the prescription they were asked to put in the frames.

I'm confused.

So you sent them a prescription and frames?
They made lenses for that prescription and fitted then?
You then found you needed a revised prescription?

Soldato
Lucky because it was 100% your own mistake.
+1

you sent them a pair of glasses, not necessarily your own, why should they have analysed the prescription in them, they just made up what you requested.

If you told them prescription was wrong, your error, why should they refund; if you had a legitimate reason they would have accepted it
(I have previously rejected glasses becasue the material had too much chromatic aberration/rainbow'ing)

Soldato
OP
They'll just be a glazing company, and as such can't do anything to alter or modify the glasses prescription (which is why people are often recommended to get glasses from where you get your eyes tested). In reality they didn't have to give you your money back so you've been lucky that you chose to deal with a decent company....probably be nice of you to leave them a good review or something.

i agree with what your saying here. Except they are not just a glazing company...well they are but they are run by professional opthamologists/opticians (see their website). My mistake... is that i thought that counted for something. Seems to me they marketed themselves with the expertise of their profession to sell their product but then dont want to accept what goes along with that.

Soldato
how would i know my prescription was wrong?
How would they know it was wrong? They haven't tested your eyes, they've just installed some lenses according to a prescription you gave them.

From what you've described here I'm amazed they've refunded you, as it sounds like it was only you that has made any mistakes.

Pez

Pez

Soldato
how would i know my prescription was wrong?

That's your problem though, not theirs :confused:

You asked for (a) they fitted (a) you discovered you actually needed (b) - I appreciate that your optician could have told you this, but it's certainly not the glazing companies problem.

Soldato
OP
How would they know it was wrong? They haven't tested your eyes, they've just installed some lenses according to a prescription you gave them.

From what you've described here I'm amazed they've refunded you, as it sounds like it was only you that has made any mistakes.

you didnt answer my question.

Man of Honour
Please tell me this is a windup.
How does a company know your prescription
Only by what you tell them.

Just lol, how do some people get through life.

Soldato
OP
That's your problem though, not theirs :confused:

You asked for (a) they fitted (a) you discovered you actually needed (b) - I appreciate that your optician could have told you this, but it's certainly not the glazing companies problem.

Ok this is a better answer. And you are 99% correct. If they were just a glazing company then you would be right but if you check their website they dont market themselves as just that.

Soldato
you didnt answer my question.
Your question isn't really relevant to whether they've done anything incorrectly though.

You gave them frames and a prescription. They installed lenses to that prescription.

You've then realised your prescription has changed since the one you sent them.

I fail to see how that is their problem or why you expect them to be able to magically figure out that the first prescription is wrong without them checking your vision.

Soldato
OP
Please tell me this is a windup.
How does a company know your prescription
Only by what you tell them.

Just lol, how do some people get through life.

uhh i didnt say they should magically know my prescription but i expected them to check the lenses (both lenses)

If they were just a glazing company i wouldn't be having this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom