Consumer rights question glasses bought online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
so they would quite happily change the lenses if there was incorrect information put in the prescription?

See i believe a normal glazing company would do this....yep fair enough. No thought behind it at all just part of the process...received new prescription and changed glasses.

Why would an optician (they said to me they have the machinery to check the lenses in that were already in the glasses) willingly give someone a prescription that was worse than the previous one?

And no im not expecting them to be psychic because as i just said they have the tech to check the lenses (prescription) that were in the glasses originally.

Are you not aware that peoples eyesight can improve or deteriorate.

If they are not the ones examining you they cannot say anything about it. You gave them the details to work from. It is on you to give them the correct details.

Pez

Pez

Soldato
They check the lenses (the new ones they have cut) to ensure that they actually perform to the required prescription.... they don't check your old lenses, because they aren't being used anymore.

Like another poster said - If I sent a pair of lenses back that were +1.25 along with a prescription asking for +2.00... this simply suggests your vision has worsened, a perfectly normal occurrence.

They are a glazing company, ran by opticians - but they are NOT providing optician services.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Why would an optician (they said to me they have the machinery to check the lenses in that were already in the glasses) willingly give someone a prescription that was worse than the previous one?
Notsureifserious.jpeg

Prescriptions can change in the opposite direction? I’m willing to bet it isn’t as often as people who require stronger lenses but I’ve gone from -1.50 to -1.25 in the past.

I’m still confused. Are you saying you gave them a “weaker” initial prescription and they failed because they should have spotted this?

Soldato
OP
How do they know what is 'worse' though? Your eyesight/prescription could have changed either way, they have no reference to make comparison to.

lol. they are opticians.... i guess my eyesight could have magically got better then? i dont know of anyone in the world who is short sighted and has glasses who when they went for another glasses prescription they suddenly found they could see a whole lot better and didnt need as strong a prescription. Ive never heard of a case like that. Usually when you wear glasses your eyes dont get better they get worse and that has been the case for me my entire life.

maybe there are lucky people who have that but my own eyes dont get better unfortunately.

Pez

Pez

Soldato
lol. they are opticians.... i guess my eyesight could have magically got better then? i dont know of anyone in the world who is short sighted and has glasses who when they went for another glasses prescription they suddenly found they could see a whole lot better and didnt need as strong a prescription. Ive never heard of a case like that. Usually when you wear glasses your eyes dont get better they get worse and that has been the case for me my entire life.

maybe there are lucky people who have that but my own eyes dont get better unfortunately.

They are not providing an opticians service

Screen_Shot_2018_03_28_at_23_38_20.png

For the record, my latest prescription has reduced from +2.25 to +2.00 in my left eye.

Man of Honour

Eyesightcahnges with age, you can go from one end to the other. There is no check they can do and just wow at your thought process.

Soldato
OP
I believe eyesight can improve in adulthood, it definitely can in childhood.

certain aspects possibly (not relevant to the discussion as you are meaning much older people and i agree).

Show me any peer reviewed articles that show people in mid 30s shortsightness improving just for no reason whatsoever.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

At least two posters have given you their personal example (I being one). What’s your point?

Ps I was 30-31 when it changed.

Soldato

Surely you're just taking the **** now?

Yes, your eyesight could get 'better', in fact it often does for people who went short sighted at a young age, as their eyes naturally get longer sighted, the same way normal sighted people start to need reading glasses.

My prescription was at its worst in my late 20s and has since improved marginally.

Regardless, they still can't make a judgement on your particular eyesight if they haven't tested your vision!

Soldato
OP
Exactly what it says. Not only did you think that you then asked when they have a guarantee and you can send them back for anything.

Dont get what you mean here. Bear in mind i have a mental illness so choose your words better instead of just taking the **** out of me for the way i'm thinking. Because if thats all you have to offer im sure there are kittens around you can gleefully torment to sate your "appetites"

Soldato
OP
Surely you're just taking the **** now?

Yes, your eyesight could get 'better', in fact it often does for people who went short sighted at a young age, as their eyes naturally get longer sighted, the same way normal sighted people start to need reading glasses.

My prescription was at its worst in my late 20s and has since improved marginally.

Regardless, they still can't make a judgement on your particular eyesight if they haven't tested your vision!

My eyesight has been bad for a long time. Over the years every single new pair of glasses has required stronger prescription each time. Of course i accept that for other people eyesight levels can change but i would regard it as a genuine miracle if mine had improved.

I never said they could make or not make a judgement on my vision. I never even mentioned that. Why do you bring it into the discussion?

I said they could have compared the 2 prescriptions and when noticing that the newer one is actually better or practically identical to the older one they could have texted me to say you do not require the glasses to be reglazed Mr Surfer. Thus saving me the money. It was not needed at all. A simple text message.

They are run by Opticians that is why i expected that. People have difficulty understanding that. If it was just a glazing company fair enough.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My eyesight has been bad for a long time. Over the years every single new pair of glasses has required stronger prescription each time. Of course i accept that for other people eyesight levels can change but i would regard it as a genuine miracle if mine had improved.

I never said they could make or not make a judgement on my vision. I never even mentioned that. Why do you bring it into the discussion?

I said they could have compared the 2 prescriptions and when noticing that the newer one is actually better or practically identical to the older one they could have texted me to say you do not require the glasses to be reglazed Mr Surfer. Thus saving me the money. It was not needed at all. A simple text message.

They are run by Opticians that is why i expected that. People have difficulty understanding that. If it was just a glazing company fair enough.
How do they know your eyesight has been deteriorating year-on-year?

For all you know, you gave them a prescription an optician looked at it and thought “lucky *******, his eyes have improved”.

:p

Soldato

Right there you spelled out how you wanted them to make a judgement on your vision without examining you.

They make exactly what you ask them to make.

They cannot make a judgement without examining you because it's impossible to know your circumstances. They simply make what you asked for.

Pez

Pez

Soldato
If it was just a glazing company fair enough.

It is just a glazing company, operated by opticians. Just like my local pub is operated by a doctor... I don't get a prostate exam with my pint though. You have assumed far too much... that is how this has happened.

Soldato

I bring it into the discussion because it's a logical prerequisite to what you then describe as your expectation.

They can't make the comments you expect them to make unless they're making assumptions or judgements about your particular eyesight.

It's entirely normal that people will get glasses reglazed for minor changes in their prescription, either up or down, so it's entirely unreasonable to think they'd advise you that yours has a) a minor change and b) that change is in a direction that you deem the wrong way (which is impossible for them to know anyway).

In reality your complaints should be directed at the opticians testing your eyes because at some point it sounds like they've done a crap job if one particular prescription is out of kilter with the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom