Contents insurance

Soldato
Who are you with and how much do you pay pa?

MoneySupermarket is coming out as the AA being considerably the cheapest for us @ £160pa, but I've a feeling we might get stung with them once we start adding on extras (bikes, laptops etc) due to the low starting price. Or maybe not!

We only need £20k of cover and two bikes (£1k and £500, preferably whilst out as well). Any suggestions or experience with AA?

Edit: Sorry to confirm, this is renting (part-furnished) and contents only.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was with More Than last year, and for buildings and contents it came to about £550. That was with my bike on there which bumped it up about £150 extra but its covered for £2k both inside and outside the house and I was also broken into last year. Just had my renewal quote through for £364 this year, going to have a look around and see if I can beat that anywhere!

Edit: I also live in Liverpool so will probably be paying more than you anyway! :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't actually remember who mine is with but it was £130ish for the year with £25k contents + a couple of £1.5k+ named items.

Things like accidental damage outside the home etc (which is only covered on those named items on my policy) can push it up considerably though

Soldato
I pay ~£17 p/m with the co-op insurance. That's for buildings and contents insurance. Off the top of my head I think the contents is up to 50k and includes several bikes, laptops, and covers me when I'm out and about for certain things.

No idea if they're any good as thankfully I haven't had to claim. There were several slightly cheaper options out there but not from companies I'd heard of so wasn't really comfortable going with them.

One thing I found when comparing; the amount you are covered for rarely made a difference with some companies. For example, the difference between covering 10k and 50k was pence, so when you settle on a provider, get another quote and bump up the coverage to see if it actually costs more.

Soldato
Just came up to renewal after my first year of insurance on our home and switched my buildings & contents to the AA, will hopefully not need to find out how they are ;)

my renewal quote was £333 with nationwide, but that was £50 excess with accidental damage on contents. Then it occurred to me when I broke my phone I will probably never use accidental damage on contents and wouldn't generally claim on it unless it's proper big, so I upped my excess to £250 and got rid of the accidental damage
Still have personal possessions though in case I drop my camera bag in a lake or something, that one would cost a lot. I hate buying insurance because they always try to scare you into buying extra protection, when the cost of the protection, in the long term, will 99% of the time work out more than the cost of what you're protecting against (of course, that's the business of insurance..)

Anyway my buildings & contents insurance is £150 now which is less than half the cost... plus that mega £5 worth of nectar points that confused love to shout about and a free year of AA recovery... I tried the cashback sites but the quotes through confused seem to be the equivalent of the quotes direct minus the cashback, so what's the point really..

Associate
Just renewed with Axa for contents only and that came out at just over £80. That is just the basics though and doesn't include things like bike cover... It does cover £65k as standard though so should be more than enough for most people

Soldato
I've just done some new quotes on Money Supermarket and they seem to come in around £270 including my bike, thats about half what it was last year so I'm happy! :D

Soldato
Was paying £40 with Direct Line. Lloyds TSB mentioned to wifey-woo that they could do it much cheaper. We changed to said bank and for the same cover I'm now paying £17. I was amazed!

Soldato
Was paying £40 with Direct Line. Lloyds TSB mentioned to wifey-woo that they could do it much cheaper. We changed to said bank and for the same cover I'm now paying £17. I was amazed!

This.

Mine is now 17.27 a month from lloyds TSB after i went into them for a account meeting, and they noticed i was paying over double.

it covers contents and shed/garage as well as passports and a few other things whilst out of the house, not sure about bikes though, id have to check, and ive no idea where the paper work is :D

Soldato
We have contents only....

Annual Cash Price: £222.46
Monthly: £20.87

- Up to £40,000
- This includes valuables and personal belongings up to a total of £7,500
- A single article limit of £1,500 applies for valuables and personal belongings
- This cover provides accidental damage to household goods
- Optional extra cover for valuables, personal belongings and money - Providing cover whilst away from home and, in addition, cover against accidental loss or damage
anywhere in the world, up to a total of £5,000. Each item not exceeding £1,500.
- Legal cover
- £100 Compulsory Excess.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Been with Swinton for years as always do a scope around but they are cheaper - can't remember how much they are though.

Pay the Buildings Insurance through our managing agent so have to get separate cover for Contents.

BB x

Back
Top Bottom