Contract Rate vs Permie Package comparison

Man of Honour
One thing I'm interested to know is if there are any decent calculators out there that can do some sort of rudimentary comparison between contract day rates and the equivalent permanent package.

I'm talking about something a bit more complex than just going "oh Permie works say 227 days a year so a £550/day rate is the equivalent of £124,850 salary". Basically something that lets you factor in things like dividends, tax offsets and the like whereby doing contracting you could pay travel costs out of gross rather than net earnings, and conversely any perm benefits like pension/healthcare/gym etc etc.

It feels like I would be a lot better off contracting but I know there are some upcoming regulation changes around dividends that might shift the balance somewhat.

Not looking for a general debate on the merits of contracting vs permanent as that's been done a few times, more some way of doing meaningful comparisons and figure out what sort of rates one needs to charge to make it worthwhile / to offset the risks.

alx

alx

Soldato
You're probably best using some of these calculators to work out what you'd get after taxes etc when contracting: http://www.contractoruk.com/calculators/

You can normally put in what you'd expect your yearly expenses will be and the calculators will offset this. Would you be doing it through a Ltd company?

Overall it's not the easiest thing to do as people give up benefits for the greater flexibility of contracting. If you run a ltd company you can have a company pension, healthcare etc if you want.

Back
Top Bottom