Control fans attached to mobo but based on GPU temp?

Ok so i have a GTX1070 that has been ace, fans at idle are silent but when stuff gets towards 50+c they get a little noisy for me. Id love to stick some 120mm fans on the card but rather have the mobo or software control them as the GPU will just run them at full chat seeing as its min speed is 800rpm and max is 2500rpm.
Can i do this or am i doomed to have to get some dedicated gpu cooler?

Soldato
OP
You can get adaptors for 3 pin fans to fit gpu headers. Last time I checked they were around £6 on Ebay.

Yeah i know mate, but what im worried about is the gpu will run the new fans like the stock ones, if i stuck some Bitfenix fans on it that have a max rpm of 800, the gpu will just run them full speed as its fan range is 800-2500, see what i mean? Id like to get some fans that have good airflow but are quiet, otherwise i may as well stick with the stock fans or AIO it :)

BUA

BUA

Associate
I do this with Argus Monitor. determine which header your running fans on and rename in Argus, you can then control manually or by curve.

Might be worth looking into.

Soldato
Yeah i know mate, but what im worried about is the gpu will run the new fans like the stock ones, if i stuck some Bitfenix fans on it that have a max rpm of 800, the gpu will just run them full speed as its fan range is 800-2500, see what i mean? Id like to get some fans that have good airflow but are quiet, otherwise i may as well stick with the stock fans or AIO it :)
Fan speed is almost always controlled in terms of %, so either % duty cycle for PWM, or % of maximum voltage for DC voltage controlled fans. So a slower fan will generally be run at the same proportional range of its own speed, compared to the one it replaced.

Soldato
OP
Depending on what fan headers you have on your GPU there are PWM adapters from GPU plug to standard plug. Gelid makes one.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

There are others but they are sales sites but OcUK won't let us post links or name them. Google 'GPU fan adapter' and you should find them.

Thanks doyll, ive seen the gpu adapter but was worried that the card would run any fan i attached to it out of spec so it would just be max rpm no matter what. Thanks to LuckyBensky explaining that it will use a % to control the fans and not an rpm figure, i guess i can use some 120mm Bitfenix Spectres i have laying around. Although i will get some 92mm fans at some point to better focus the air. Any suggestion for a quiet fan that has good air?

Soldato
OP
You could get a Raijintek Morpheus and put two be quiet! Silent wings 3 fans on it and have them controlled by the card.

Yeah the Morpheus looks nice but ive got a Palit Super Jeststream and the heatsink on it is pretty impressive, ive never seen games or benches go above 60c BUT the fans can be a bit much at 60+ % hence wanting to put some decent fans on it :)

Soldato
Thanks doyll, ive seen the gpu adapter but was worried that the card would run any fan i attached to it out of spec so it would just be max rpm no matter what. Thanks to LuckyBensky explaining that it will use a % to control the fans and not an rpm figure, i guess i can use some 120mm Bitfenix Spectres i have laying around. Although i will get some 92mm fans at some point to better focus the air. Any suggestion for a quiet fan that has good air?
\
If you you an adapter just be careful the one you get is the right one for your GPU fan header. There are several different GPU fan headers. While most fans run based on heat and PWM signal (or voltage) some actually do use the rpm signal from fan. Please don't ask me which ones because don't have that info, sorry.

Usually we don't need to get an aftermarket cooler. We can used normal 25mm thick 90mm, 100mm or 120mm fans zip-tied to stock GPU cooler finpack and almost always have better cooling with lower noise. Just remove the GPU shroud and fans and only use the cooler it'self and mount the fans on with zip-ties.

MoSm29u.png
7DRHGE9.jpg
yRQwLe4.jpg
23large.jpg

And lastly one of mine with custom shroud made of plastic from hobby shop.
76878_KFA2_GTX_770_LTD_OC__F2_fan_mod.png

Soldato
OP
\
If you you an adapter just be careful the one you get is the right one for your GPU fan header. There are several different GPU fan headers. While most fans run based on heat and PWM signal (or voltage) some actually do use the rpm signal from fan. Please don't ask me which ones because don't have that info, sorry.

Usually we don't need to get an aftermarket cooler. We can used normal 25mm thick 90mm, 100mm or 120mm fans zip-tied to stock GPU cooler finpack and almost always have better cooling with lower noise. Just remove the GPU shroud and fans and only use the cooler it'self and mount the fans on with zip-ties.

MoSm29u.png
7DRHGE9.jpg
yRQwLe4.jpg
23large.jpg

And lastly one of mine with custom shroud made of plastic from hobby shop.
76878_KFA2_GTX_770_LTD_OC__F2_fan_mod.png

Thanks for the info mate, that custom shroud is pretty sweet! Yeah i'll just be using paperclips or zip ties to put the fans on the existing heatsink. It actually a great cooler, quietest stock cooler ive ever had but more and more games are really pushing the card so quieter fans are needed.

Ive always fitted Arctic Cooling Accellero coolers to my GPUs but the heatsink on this Palit is pretty nice, just needs some better quality fans :)

Soldato
Thanks for the info mate, that custom shroud is pretty sweet! Yeah i'll just be using paperclips or zip ties to put the fans on the existing heatsink. It actually a great cooler, quietest stock cooler ive ever had but more and more games are really pushing the card so quieter fans are needed.

Ive always fitted Arctic Cooling Accellero coolers to my GPUs but the heatsink on this Palit is pretty nice, just needs some better quality fans :)
My only complaint with Accellero is it needs better fans. ;)

Back
Top Bottom