The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
Anyone here use the gluten free flour from caputo?
I've made several pizzas now and unsure where i'm going wrong.
I follow the instructions and i've followed some youtube for troubleshooting my crust.

Basically, my pizza crust is coming out undercooked and chewy. It's dense throughout, except on the very edges where i've made the crust large.
My Koda 12 heats the stone up to 450C and the pizzas cook well on top, but I always end up with dense dough.

https://www.goodforyouglutenfree.com/caputo-gluten-free-flour-pizza/
This is what I followed today, but ended up with another dense pizza, slightly gooey base after cooking.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm getting tired of eating non-fluffy pizzas.
Thanks!
How long do you leave to prove? Try a long fermentation like 48hours.

Associate
How long do you leave to prove? Try a long fermentation like 48hours.

According to this, 3-4 hours. Which is what I left it for today.

Should I leave it out in say, my kitchen to proof for 48 hours?
Or stick it in the fridge after a few hours?

I assume this one makes one large pizza, I guess I could also make 2 smaller ones with it, too.

Associate
Not tried gluten free, for a start does it actually work as well?

If you have gas oven do you turn it onto low when pizza goes in?

Does what actually work as well? If you mean the gluten free flour, its expensive, since it's as close to normal 00 flour as you're going to get without gluten. Interestingly, when I first bought the dough, the pizzas were coming out amazingly. I seem to have lost my way though!

Gluten free caputo is renowned for being a pretty wet dough ball too.

I do turn the oven to low, once I've reached 430-450'C for centre of the stone on my thermo sensor.
For the last pizza, I left it in for a good 5 minutes, for it to be almost inedible - the dough was still dense and dark and gooey inside after cooking, so I don't think its the heat. It's gotta be either proofing or maybe some ***** yeast.
I've got both Allinson's dried active yeast and Caputo's active yeast, both give same results. (testing caputo active yeast actually gives a much slower rise, which is by design apparently) but the latest pizza was with Allinson's which rises pretty quick, but still had a gooey crust.

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Yeah that doesn't sound right at all, sounds far too wet or the base if far too thick?
For mine I've mainly used caputo blue and I don't bother adding a loada salt or oil.
Once stretched the bases are nigh on see thru and the sauce is spread with the back of a spoon.

If I left a pizza in mine for 5 minutes it'd be a charred disc :/

When I make mine I typically leave it for a few hours, then knock back and make into balls.
It then lives in the fridge for a few days and I try to take it out a few hours before use to let it get to room temp

Associate
Are you putting too much topping on?

Not really, less is more in my eyes. The dense is all the way through too, which starts up in the edge crusting, where there's no topping... and is also close to the flame. It's gotta be the mix i'm making, or the yeast.

I made 2x 500g balls last night with 2 different yeasts, which I've left proof out for a few hours to double in size and then placed them in the fridge last night, for them to prove more slowly. (apparently, this is also more tasty).

I'll see how this batch goes with longer proofing times. Thanks chaps.

Last edited:
Permabanned
So, first large scale pizza test this weekend gone. Had approximately 20 guests to feed, 1 pizza oven, a ton of dough, loads of toppings prepped and just me churning out pizzas (I don't like people helping they just do stuff wrong and get in the way :p).

Spent around an hour and a half cooking and they went down very well, everyone loving the pizzas.

Been using mutti finely chopped Italian tomatoes from Amazon, they are quite sweet and make a lovely sauce, no sugar required. Also mixed up a batch with chilli sauce and BBQ sauce for those who like a spicy pizza(me).

Other than getting too close brushing the stone and singeing an eyebrow it all went great.:cry:

Can't say I would rush to feed that many again with only 1 oven though!

Associate
So, first large scale pizza test this weekend gone. Had approximately 20 guests to feed, 1 pizza oven, a ton of dough, loads of toppings prepped and just me churning out pizzas (I don't like people helping they just do stuff wrong and get in the way :p).

Spent around an hour and a half cooking and they went down very well, everyone loving the pizzas.

Been using mutti finely chopped Italian tomatoes from Amazon, they are quite sweet and make a lovely sauce, no sugar required. Also mixed up a batch with chilli sauce and BBQ sauce for those who like a spicy pizza(me).

Other than getting too close brushing the stone and singeing an eyebrow it all went great.:cry:

Can't say I would rush to feed that many again with only 1 oven though!

Good work. The most I've done back to back is 9 with a Roccbox, even that was a slog for me haha.

Do you have to drain any liquid from the Mutti toms that you used?

Soldato
Any views on Mutti San Marzano's against their regular - I've never bought SM's which seem to have a large premium;
but for the basic Mutti version - is that really different to Cirio which I usually pick up when in Waitrose/JS offers.

Soldato
Cant really say, of the tins I have used to far these Mutti "Polpa" have been the nicest. I have not tried that many. :)
I just cant justify paying that much for tomatoes are they really that much different to normal chopped tomatoes. Its almost my least favourite part of a pizza the tomato sauce. £2.49/KG vs £1.10/kg normal.

Permabanned
I just cant justify paying that much for tomatoes are they really that much different to normal chopped tomatoes. Its almost my least favourite part of a pizza the tomato sauce. £2.49/KG vs £1.10/kg normal.

Yeah they are expensive, I need to try some other brands see if I can find any others I like, they are very nice though.

Soldato
yes - marzanno money seems to be £3.20 - cirio regular price is the same as mutti 2.2 , but because they are in uk supermarkets often get them, like last week, for nearer £1
cirio's a taste step up from ktc/aldi at ~3tins/£1

I get maybe 3x8-9" pizzas from a 400g tin, after cooking them up with onion/celery/garlic - maybe I could apply a marzanno sauce more sparingly.

Associate

I'd say yes. You can get them for under a quid a can if you buy in 12s. I've been through virtually every type of tinned tomato readily (and some non-readily) available, and before finding these was using the most expensive plum tomatoes I could find and passing through a moule. I prefer these (plus convenience).

But all personal preference :)

Back
Top Bottom