The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
you've got no excuse in France for toppings lots of saucisson, cheeses (hadn't seen sliced raclette until the other week) whilst w'ere stuck behind self-imposed Brexit walls.

Soldato
Broke my pizza stone over the weekend so now its finally time to get an ooni, just ordered a Frya and 20kg of pellets so hopefully should arrive this week at some point.

Any tips for using these?

Associate
Soldato
Associate
Broke my pizza stone over the weekend so now its finally time to get an ooni, just ordered a Frya and 20kg of pellets so hopefully should arrive this week at some point.

Was it a handy, "Oops, I've just accidentally dropped this lump hammer onto the pizza stone dear. I will now go and order the suddenly necessary Ooni," moment?

Soldato
Was it a handy, "Oops, I've just accidentally dropped this lump hammer onto the pizza stone dear. I will now go and order the suddenly necessary Ooni," moment?

Between you and I... Yes. The missus on the other hand, it really strangely just broke and I have no idea what happened.

I have had it a coming up 2 weeks now and it's incredible. Only used it once but will be using it again later this week. Damn does it get hot! First few where burned but nailed it since. gonna try some cold prove some dough this week. Would 100% recommend.

Soldato
The mozzarella video is basically chop it up and put it on a pizza.
you watched it all ? the idea that the moisture is higher at the edges, so cutting it to uniformly distribute that, was new to me ...
all the moz I buy is too wet to subject it to aggressive knife cuts like he does ... or maybe he's a samurai.

yesterday was a red letter day Waitrose finally had Mutti in stock - 3 week wait.

Soldato
I’m pretty set on getting one of those for Xmas but I can’t seem to decide between the Fyra or Koda, fundamentally gas vs wood.

Gas seems to be easier and more convenient (cheaper to run?), wood obviously has that more authentic feel but has all the smoke (smells).

I’m leaning towards the gas but am I looking at the ‘wrong’ one?

Soldato

looking - seem to be quite a few (13") knock-off designs like uuni on alibaba, in particular with rotating pizza stone,
but, not present on aliexpress because they need bulk shipping, so need to wait for the likes of Aldi/Lidl to import some.
https://www.alibaba.com/products/ou..._pizza_stone.html?IndexArea=product_en&page=1
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Steel-with-high-temperature-powder-coating_1600325851733.html

Soldato
That is my fear and I just wanted to check I wasn’t ‘missing out’ on something more fundamental to the eating experience!

Really, the pizza is in the oven for such a short amount of time, any taste difference between the gas and wood is going to barely perceptible.

Associate
Really, the pizza is in the oven for such a short amount of time, any taste difference between the gas and wood is going to barely perceptible.

Aye. I've got a wood burning Karu and have tried pizzas done in a Gas oven and I wouldn't be able to differentiate between the two.

I enjoy cooking on coals/wood and do a lot of bbq and smoking so for me the experience of using wood as fuel adds to the overall enjoyment.

Associate
I’m pretty set on getting one of those for Xmas but I can’t seem to decide between the Fyra or Koda, fundamentally gas vs wood.

Gas seems to be easier and more convenient (cheaper to run?), wood obviously has that more authentic feel but has all the smoke (smells).

I’m leaning towards the gas but am I looking at the ‘wrong’ one?

Get a Karu and the gas burner attachement then you can switch between the two? This is what we have and it's great. Mostly use it on gas now so if you don't want to go down the Karu route then I'd definitely go koda over frya.

Back
Top Bottom