The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
Got my best Pizzas yet over the weekend, Used the OP recipe, but reduced the semolina to just 100g and used the taste the difference 00 pasta flour, also upped the hydration to about 64%, then 3 day prove in the fridge and got them out cut the doughballs up a few hours and then left on the side, although this dried them out a bit, it made them nice and easy to handle.

Main difference was keeping the flame going which I think I've failed at a bit recently, can't ever seem to get the 1-2 minute cooks people proclaim, but 3-4 minutes was the norm. Various combos of toppings as had friends over but nailed 4 of the 5 I made, first 2 were ridiculously fluffy and light!

ayc1I9E.jpg

A4F1uDM.jpg

oyr59oQ.jpg

Sorry to quote an old post, how did you find the TTD 00 pasta flour, I used it yesterday to make some dough, but mine has not risen at all in the fridge, and the dough itself is quite dense, it might be that I "killed" the yeast I used, as I added it to hot water, and also I only did a 60% hydration.

Need to experiment, but just curious if this flour was easy to work with?

Today I made some more dough for Monday, this time I used 63% hydration and some alissons strong bread flour I had, and its a lot more wet and doughy when I was kneading it. I also used instant yeast and added straight flour.

Thanks

Soldato
My dough has not risen at all, I’m wondering what I did wrong, I used about 0.6g and added to water, I used some boiling water added to cold water, but I realise for instant dried yeast this is not needed.

Could I have had the water to hot so it killed the yeast?

Maybe too little yeast?

With instant dry yeast, maybe next time I will add a little more, also with this type of yeast can it be added to cold water, considering it doesn’t actually need to be activated in warm water.

I was just following the ooni app pizza recipe.

We used the recipe online and it called for 7g dried yeast for 1.2kg flour. Dough rose very nicely and has been in the fridge for a second rise overnight.

Soldato
Sorry to quote an old post, how did you find the TTD 00 pasta flour, I used it yesterday to make some dough, but mine has not risen at all in the fridge, and the dough itself is quite dense, it might be that I "killed" the yeast I used, as I added it to hot water, and also I only did a 60% hydration.

Need to experiment, but just curious if this flour was easy to work with?

Today I made some more dough for Monday, this time I used 63% hydration and some alissons strong bread flour I had, and its a lot more wet and doughy when I was kneading it. I also used instant yeast and added straight flour.

Thanks

yeah i found similar, it's not a great flour for pizza dough.

Soldato
How do you lot clean your ooni inside after cooking, in manual it says to turn stone around and that burns stuff off.

Mines not to grubby after first pizza, so wondering if it’s better to just leave it it and brush off and bits?

As for my first attempt it turned out great and tasted lovely, I just went for a basic topping on 1st go, German peppered Salami and grated mozzarella and cheese. I pre heated the koda 12 for just over 20 mins and then turned to low setting when I launched pizza, I then turned every 30-40 seconds, overall took about 3-4 minutes to cook.
The flavours are so much better using a pizza oven, I'm so impressed.

IMG-0077.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Caputo pizzeria or nuvola flour?

Apart from my last attempt I normally use oil and hydration 63%, and I normally cold proof in fridge between 24-48hrs.

Which of the above flours would be best for me to try?

Thanks

Soldato
Are there any flours that mainstream supermarkets stock that are good to use? Not sure I want to rely on having to source Caputo flour all the time.

I have been using the Homepride 00 flour from the local Tesco Extra which is giving decentish results but just wondering if it is even necessary to use a 00 flour all the time or if can you use a simple bread flour for example?

Soldato
Are there any flours that mainstream supermarkets stock that are good to use? Not sure I want to rely on having to source Caputo flour all the time.

I have been using the Homepride 00 flour from the local Tesco Extra which is giving decentish results but just wondering if it is even necessary to use a 00 flour all the time or if can you use a simple bread flour for example?

Allisons strong bread flour is great, can get it from sainsburys and other supermarkets I presume.

I only used this dough in home oven, not tried on ooni yet, but it was extremely easy to work with.

Soldato

I've been using McDougalls extra fine 00 flour for a while now and get nice results. You should get a softer dough by using a finer grain flour so I'd stick with a 00 for pizza.
The McDougalls flour has a lower protein content compared to strong bread flours at around 10% opposed to 12% for the latter, this works in it's favour though as I often don't have time for long prove times. The McDougalls is ready 30mins after kneading which is handy for a quick Friday night dinner. The down side is it wont take to long prove times, forget overnight proves as it turns into a sloppy mess, if you want to do longer proves or make your dough a day in advance you will be better off with a higher protein content of 12-14%

I find the most important part of a nice fluffy, crunchy, chewy crust is good balling technique and shaping (no rolling pin), it's essential there is a good protein skin around the dough ball when proving to trap the gas inside, if not you'll be left with a flat lifeless dough that wont rise and will be tough to chew.

p9URmCj.jpg

Soldato
I cooked some more pizza today on the koda, it was my first attempt working with a wetter dough, although I had no trouble with dough sticking to peel, making the base was quite tricky, I had hard time getting nice circle, the dough was very stretchy and and any weight just pulled on the dough, so It ended up more like a sausage shape base, lol.

Perhaps it was the proofing time and bread flour? I did a cold proof (42hrs) and then left out 5hrs before using.

In any case it tasted nice, I'm just wondering what I could lower to help me with getting better shaped bases, I used a bread flour, but I do have some Caputo flour on order.

Hydration was 63% and I used 6%fat.

Any advice appreciated, Im thinking, lowering the hydration to 62% next time maybe and go from there. I made a pizza base a few days earlier using 60% hydration and 0% fat and it was very easy to get a circular shaped base, due to dough being more dry. I know the shape is not everything but it looks better when its a circle.

Back
Top Bottom