The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Associate
Apologies if I've missed it but what's the best stage to separate the dough into individual balls when doing a RT\CT prove. Do you do it immediately after mixing, or at a later stage? Thanks

Soldato
Apologies if I've missed it but what's the best stage to separate the dough into individual balls when doing a RT\CT prove. Do you do it immediately after mixing, or at a later stage? Thanks

I switched recently to proofing the dough balls as apposed to bulk proof.

I normally do it after 2hrs at RT, then ball up to CT.

In fact this is what I followed for the proofing. To summarise, 2hrs RT in bulk, then ball up, leave another 1hr, then in fridge for 24hrs or so, then RT for 1-2 hrs before making pizza.

I actually just made some dough this morning for pizza just now, 4hrs at room temp, it was perfect. Been wanting to try making pizza for on the day, as normally make it 24hrs before.

I also tried my new ooni turning peel, makes it so much easier than pulling it out and turning.

Soldato
Pizza made on the day (4hr RT proof) had some parma ham to use up.

IMG-0086.jpg

Soldato
I think fast dough is fine, you get a similar structure I think you just miss out on some flavour, and supposedly long fermentation dough/bread is easier on the gut.
I generally do 72 hours + and you get a almost sour dough taste, but like you say some times you want pizza now.

Soldato
I've tried long fermentations in the past but found any thing over 24 hours starts to taste a bit to sour for me, no benefit to long proves other than taste for pizza dough.

I'm currently doing quick proves (30-60mins) and If I want a bit more flavour I just add a scoop of sourdough starter.

No right or wrong way just personal preference on the taste of the dough.

Soldato
I've tried long fermentations in the past but found any thing over 24 hours starts to taste a bit to sour for me, no benefit to long proves other than taste for pizza dough.

I'm currently doing quick proves (30-60mins) and If I want a bit more flavour I just add a scoop of sourdough starter.

No right or wrong way just personal preference on the taste of the dough.
Definitely, I like the sour dough taste. But I also just love pizza so you can't really go wrong. I've even done soda based dough which was fine as well, and made pizza on tortilla breads which actually works really well just need to dampen the bread so it doesn't burn.

Soldato
cdTccRn.png

Not used my Ooni in ages, was gonna shift it but figured I might as well use the remaining gas first. A new Italian deli has opened in the village so I just spent ridiculous money on toppings!

Made some dough yesterday, currently in the fridge. Maybe this will re-kindle my interest in making pizzas! I really need to sort the shed out so it's not such a ballache to set it up.

Soldato
QjnFwbo.png

Not too shabby, first pizza in six months crust is a little uneven, but tasted good, did some with roasted peppers and aubergine too which were good.

That mozzarella was well worth the money, so much more flavour than supermarket stuff. The nduja is proper fiery too, had some on toast for lunch......frozen half of it, but still have loads.

Using caputo 00. Proved at room temperature for ~16 hours, 4 hours in the fridge, then 3 hours again at room temperature. Was really easy to work.

Last edited:
Caporegime
QjnFwbo.png

Not too shabby, first pizza in six months crust is a little uneven, but tasted good, did some with roasted peppers and aubergine too which were good.

That mozzarella was well worth the money, so much more flavour than supermarket stuff. The nduja is proper fiery too, had some on toast for lunch......frozen half of it, but still have loads.

Using caputo 00. Proved at room temperature for ~16 hours, 4 hours in the fridge, then 3 hours again at room temperature. Was really easy to work.
Not that I'm exactly Paul Hollywood but isn't 16 hours at room temperature likely to have over proofed it?

Caporegime
Nduja and tuna today. Not a natural marriage perhaps, but the base was really good this time.

I used 7g of dried yeast for 500g of flour (very strong bread flour as that was what I had), twice the amount of yeast I normally use.

L1Wtrmqh.jpg

Soldato
No, mine goes into the garage once it’s cooled down.

I don’t live in a dodgy area but even still, anything valuable gets put away when not in use.

Back
Top Bottom