Cooking - Slow Cooker Curry

Associate
I bought a slow cooker out of Argos about 3 months ago after hearing good things about them from a mate, and it is by far the best piece of cooking equipment iv ever purchased.

24092009004.jpg

Have cooked loads of stuff in it from melt in your mouth lamb / beef joints for a baked dinner to lancashire hot pot, and i aint had a duff meal out of it yet.

Im abit of a curry fan and thought id try a basic tikka massala in the slowcooker and was fairly happy with the result.

My curry consist's of:

Chicken breast cut into cubes
200 Grams of potatoes diced into 2cm cubes
Chopped tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic - minced
2 onions
300 ml single cream
1/2 Jar of Tikka massala paste
Glug of olive oil

I personally like my curry's very mild, so most people would probably want to add chillies & peppers as well.

24092009003.jpg

Add the tikka paste to the slow cooker with a little water. Add the chicken, onions, potatoes, garlic, chopped tomatoes and a glug of olive oil and give it all a good stir.

24092009014.jpg

Cook for 8 hours on low. 30 mins before serving add the cream and fresh corriander.

While it wasnt perfect and i forgot to get the corriander, overall i was happy enough with it, it needs refining abit with trial and error, but it is worth a try.

24092009022.jpg

If anyones got any decent slow cooker recipes id love to see them posted on here, and for those of you who like a perfectly cooked, melt in your mouth meat joint - get yourself a slowcooker abit sharpish!

Last edited:
Associate
Looks lovely. Slow cookers are awesome for these types of dises. Next time, chuck pieces of lamb on the bone.. would be epic..

Tip: Swap out the Olive oil for some corn oil or ghee.. Olive oil is a strong ingredient and all indian resturants and cook books don't use it.

Soldato
Credit crunch forced the issue there mate ;)

I'm just winding you up, I eat free range but whatever other people choose is upto them :)

Recipe looks nice - I've made a few nice meals in my slow cooked but never thought to try curry - think I'll give this a go at the weekend.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

A supermarket is selling slow-cookers like the OP for £7.

May have to try this recipe :)

Associate
Slow cookers are win. Just chuck everything in in the morning and its ready by dinner time, and usually tastes lovely.

A lovely idea, except I don't even like leaving the washing machine on and leaving the house [after a rather nasty filter blockage incident causing the waste pipe to pop off] so much as though lazy-itis means this appeals, my fear of DOMESTIC APPLIANCE DISASTER means I'll probably avoid :(

Soldato
A lovely idea, except I don't even like leaving the washing machine on and leaving the house [after a rather nasty filter blockage incident causing the waste pipe to pop off] so much as though lazy-itis means this appeals, my fear of DOMESTIC APPLIANCE DISASTER means I'll probably avoid :(

What on earth do you think is going to go wrong with a slow cooker while you're out? :D The worst that could happen is it'll fuse and you'll get home and your dinner wont be ready to eat. :p

You leave your fridge on don't you?

Soldato
Just done something similar myself this morning, only difference is I made a paste myself and added it to chopped and blitzed tomatoes / sweated onions / garlic / chilli (all the usual ingedients), bit of water, add the chicken, lightly dusted and fried in garam masala before it goes in (literally just to seal it) and leave on low for about 8 hours :)

Also, I find Olive Oil is fine, just use a light (i.e. cheap) one, not virgin, the light stuff has little flavour.

Associate
What on earth do you think is going to go wrong with a slow cooker while you're out? :D The worst that could happen is it'll fuse and you'll get home and your dinner wont be ready to eat. :p

You leave your fridge on don't you?

Ah, looking more closely, this is a self contained, mains powered thingy isn't it? I thought it was some kind of hob heated thingy, in which case, my fears of a DOMESTIC APPLIANCE DISASTER are somewhat lessened.

Actually, I remember we had something like that [although flatter and squarer] in the family home years ago - it was mainly used to make beef-olives. Those things were ******* lush.

Moving up to my bros this weekend, will suggest we get one, I can't cook for toffee, but he's allright, so curry and beef-olives it is methinks...or maybe even beef-olives in curry sauce...

Sorry, I digress.

Associate
OP
Just done something similar myself this morning, only difference is I made a paste myself and added it to chopped and blitzed tomatoes / sweated onions / garlic / chilli (all the usual ingedients), bit of water, add the chicken, lightly dusted and fried in garam masala before it goes in (literally just to seal it) and leave on low for about 8 hours :)

Also, I find Olive Oil is fine, just use a light (i.e. cheap) one, not virgin, the light stuff has little flavour.

Let us know how it turns out mate.

Soldato
+1 to slow cookers. They are brilliant. Prepare your meal before work, put it on low, goto work, come back from work, turn off slow cooker and you are ready to eat. Made some awesome stews in mine. I call it Matrix.

Back
Top Bottom