Cooling a Q6600

Associate
Hay guys, just wondering what option i have to overclock my q6600, ive been looking at the H50 from corsair for a while now and benchmarks seem fine. however since it is nearly 60 quid im looking at some alternatives...maybe air cooling? if the overclock is awsomely high then il be opting for roughly £80 if its worth it.

Please advise!

Associate
Any of the high end air coolers,

TRUE
Megahalems
Noctua NH-U12
Nordwand
etc etc

Out of interest is your 5gb RAM 2x2gb sticks then a 1gb stick? If so does that not mean it's running in single channel so will actually be slower than just 4gb in dual channel? I'm really not sure on this myself but it might be worth looking into.

Associate
Any of the high end air coolers,

TRUE
Megahalems
Noctua NH-U12
Nordwand
etc etc

Out of interest is your 5gb RAM 2x2gb sticks then a 1gb stick? If so does that not mean it's running in single channel so will actually be slower than just 4gb in dual channel? I'm really not sure on this myself but it might be worth looking into.

And yes you are right Geckovich. Ram comes in matched pairs or tripples if you have i7 x58 variety. He must have three sticks of ram in there which will make his pc run in single channel mode not dual channel. This doesn't help OC'ing. OP's best bet is to remove the odd stick to have 4 gigs as that is plenty for any game/application.

^^ Heatsinks suggested

I have the latest Revision of the TRUE with a Noiseblocker XLP Fan and im really impressed with it temps of around 25 degrees idle at 3.0 ghz at 45-50 degrees under OCCT Stress Test.

My Q6600 did 3.0 ghz (9 x 333 fsb) with stock volts which is 1.3 and is plenty fast enough. Plenty of room for more.

Hope all this helps.

Shawrey.

Back
Top Bottom