Cooling and Fan advice.

Soldato
Ok, I've been out of the component side of things for a while now, but i think its time for me to upgrade the cooling and fans in my Rig. So turning to you lovely lot with way up to date knowledge

The case I've got, can fit 3 120's in front, 1 rear direct inline with the CPU cooler, 2 top could also fit a rad up there i believe. Currently only have 2 total, 1 front and 1 back, elcheapo uphere rgb 120s with their own little control box that's tied to the reset switch, for colour modes.

Same with the CPU cooler, its an uphere AM4 cooler, with 2 120mm rgb fans (push-pull), not the best but idles at 31 loads at 58c ish

So basically I'm after more RGB fans but with the ability to hook them to my M/B and have it all controlled via that for speed as well as colour, as i don't have speed control at present.
I understand there is different types of RGB, like aRGB and all that, but i think i got standard RGB headers nothing fancy i think.

CPU- Ryzen 5 1600x (i know its old)
M/B-GA-AB350-Gaming 3
If you can help it would be most appreciated.

Associate
If you are thinking of upgrading in the near future, I would consider getting a cooler that supports a higher tdp. Were you after to replace this with air cooled or an AIO?

aRGB lets you address each led brightness and colour - just be careful of the pin layout between aRGB and RGB LED. In the end I've opted for a just a Corsair RGB hub which makes things more seamless for my setup and allows expansion to 6 (of the same) fans

Soldato
OP
Either or on the cooler side of things, and yes im thinking of upgrading and keeping with the Ryzen family, i know it will need a board and cpu combo - AIO is probably best as it will be more silent.

As for the fans, from searching around on my board i cant plug in aRGB fans as they are 5v? where as my board is 12v headers and only RGB, so another controller job similar to what ive got with the cheap uphere fans ive got now.

Associate
your not falling into the fan trap sometimes one inlet and two outlets works better than 8 fans pushing and pulling all over the place

its all about the flow my old case only ran two exhausts but you could feel the air being pulled in the front

Associate
I would consider a 240 or 360 if possible (check for clearance) AIO cooler as chances are you may upgrade the CPU altogether you also have the added benefit of running your fans slower if you choose. I replace stock static pressure with Corsiar ML120 as they are more on the quiet end for me. The radiator and pump seems to make a bigger difference compared to fan speed from my personal experience (i.e. either get a bigger radiator or run the pump speed higher to get lower temps)

Remember that:
RGB is 4 pins and a 12V header. You are restricted to the same colour for every LED
Addressable RGB (ARGB) is 3 pins with 5V header, individually addressable

My biggest learning is keep all the fans the same spec and type, and if possible, just go with the same brand across your build - the literal RGB colour setting varies significantly between manufacturers

Lastly I would consider a positive pressure to help reduce dust settling inside the case (i.e have more intake fans with dust filters, running at higher RPM)

Soldato
Ive been very impressed with Alpenfohn wing boost 3,

they're ARGB, not silly money, perform really well and if you get the 3 pack then you get a remote control for the argb leds plus other items to link them together.

Back
Top Bottom