• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cooling and overclocking 1080Ti

Associate
I recently purchased a MSI Aero 1080Ti from Ebay.

Overall, I am very happy with it, but it does run hot, and seems to throttle quite a lot because of it.

What would people advise for replacing the stock cooler with?

Not currently looking at open loop cooling, but am open to watercooling options...

Thanks,
Rich.

Man of Honour
yeah. msi aero is a bad cooler.
unfortunately you should've spent a bit more to get a better cooler.
as now, you need to spend even more to get an aftermarket/second cooler to cool a badly cooled card :(

the msi aero is a reference board iirc, so your best bet is either a) the evga AIO loops, or b) a 1080ti cooler from one of the other manufacturers second hand.

evga aio loop: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5598-RX

Soldato
How hot are we talking? Do you run anything like MSI afterburner to monitor clocks and temps. If it's second hand there is a chance the person before you water cooled it and done a bad job fitting the air cooler back on.

Your best bet short term if repasting it doesn't yield any benefits is to use MSI afterburner to undervolt it to make it run cooler. By setting a custom clock/voltage curve. There are guides on the net.

On my titan I run 1900mhz @ 0.925v which is both an undervolt and overclock so you may be able to get below 0.9v if you run stock.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses, highly appreciated.

I put an buy it now offer on an ebay item, and was suprised when the seller accepted. I had been thinking of trying some AIO watercooling at any rate, so not too upset by the horrible cooling the card currently offers.

Had been looking at the NZXT G12 mount, but that also requires the purchase of another AIO (sadly my current H100i is not compatible), and its not the best looking solution (imho).

I already purchased an Alphacool LT360 for CPU cooling, and to replace my H100i, so am considering the Alphacool waterblock for the 1080Ti, as I can extend the loop to include it quite easily - https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooli...080_ti_aero_oc_alphacool_eiswolf_120_gpx_aio/

Still quite expensive, however, but I like the looks and hope it would sort out the thermals... Not sure what the opinion of Alphacool Eiswof is on this forum... would love some input!

Associate
OP
Sorry Finners - missed your post when replying.

The previous owner had been running a custom aircooling setup on the card, and did use Noctua thermal paste when putting the standard cooler back on, so I expect its just the limitations of the cooler rather then a bad fitting job.

I was running afterburner and heaven benchmark for testing (although I tend to play mostly cs:go, and its the CPU thats limiting me currently on that front).

The card quickly rises on temperature to around 87 degress, and starts throttling before it even gets into the 80s. When the test starts the card is boosting to over 2000, but drops to low 1900s.

I will look into undervolting in the short term to see what performance gains that might unlock - thanks for the tip!

Associate
OP
Looks like a very nice build Apone. I did read about the cable mod vertical mount, but that is something for done the line when I get bored and want to tinker some more.

I had previously considered the G12, but the looks put me off in all honesty...

Associate
I was the same mate, the air cooler on the Aorus looked much nicer mounted vertically but the current set up with the AIO has grown on me big time.

Soldato
I use a Alphacool Eiswolf 120 GPX Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX TITAN X Pascal. On my Titan and it works great.

It went from 84C overclocked in games to 50C :)
At this moment it's 22 C Cool for cats :D

Soldato
I have an OCUK 240mm extreme AIO on my 1080ti using an NZXT G12 mount and its amazing. Boosts overs 2000mhz and sits around 50 degree's.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-liquid-cooling-upgrade-bundle-bu-0d5-tl.html seems its no longer available which is strange. But there's loads of other AIO's which fit the G12 bracket
That is good. But mine does the same with only hitting 58 on a cool day.. With stock air cooler.

I'm done with AIOs now. Its either air or full loop for me.

Associate
OP
Yeah they come with either 2 display port or 1 display port and i hdmi cable
I thought I saw an option for a vertical mount on the case I was looking at (Lian-Li 011D), it certainly looks nice although wondering what difference it would make depending on the cooling solution I go for.

Associate
OP
I use a Alphacool Eiswolf 120 GPX Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX TITAN X Pascal. On my Titan and it works great.

It went from 84C overclocked in games to 50C :)
At this moment it's 22 C Cool for cats :D

Many thanks for the input; I am stronging leaning in this direction as well, despite the cost (around £130 for the Alphacool Ice Wolf GPX Pro - Nvidia Geforce GTX TITAN X Pascal / 1080 Ti M02)

Do you think it would be fine in the same loop as the 360LT? I was thinking of going push/pull or adding an additional rad to the system at some point in the future if temps were still an issue.

Would this work better / worse / no different in a vertical mount?

Many thanks for the input,
Rich.

Soldato
Many thanks for the input; I am stronging leaning in this direction as well, despite the cost (around £130 for the Alphacool Ice Wolf GPX Pro - Nvidia Geforce GTX TITAN X Pascal / 1080 Ti M02)

Do you think it would be fine in the same loop as the 360LT? I was thinking of going push/pull or adding an additional rad to the system at some point in the future if temps were still an issue.

Would this work better / worse / no different in a vertical mount?

Many thanks for the input,
Rich.

I had my Wolf connected to my alphacool Cpu 280.
But I got lower temps keeping them separate.

Associate
not sure your temps will be that good if both your CPU and GPU are on a single 360mm, if not like you say just add another rad

Associate
OP
not sure your temps will be that good if both your CPU and GPU are on a single 360mm, if not like you say just add another rad

Yeah I was already considering that, the temps are super low on the cpu though and it does at least add another pump into the system, so will have to wait and see..

Back
Top Bottom