Cooling Ryzen 5600x

Associate
Hi All

Firstly hope everyone had a nice Christmas and wishing you all a happy new year.

I recently upgraded to Ryzen 5600x on MSI X570 gaming plus motherboard and initial idle temps were shockingly high at 55c and 85c and rising during gaming.

Thankfully the issue with this was the recent problems with the Epic game store and once closed idle dropped to more reasonable 38c, however gaming sessions sit at around 80-82c. Which I've seen people comment that this is not unexpected with Ryzen cpus.

However coming from I7 4790k running at 60c during high workload I don't feel comfortable with this. Currently have a Arctic Freezer Extreme rev 2, but feel the contact plate is not sufficient as there is a good part of the chip on both ends not being covered by the cooler.

Am looking at a replacement cooler and was looking at water cooling but bit apprehensive about them as heard of pumps failing etc, any recommendations either air cooler or AIO would be appreciated.

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for the advice, I'm sorry to say it but the colour of this cooler is just a no from me, I know it's one of the best air coolers and the price is cracking at this time, but tbh I got some ballistic RGB ram and wanted a little bling in the case, seen the Mugen ARGB from Scythe on the store which looks good and is meant to have ok cooling also. I'm just not sure if its my current cooler which is responsible for the high temps during gaming session or if I'll be wasting my money on replacement cooler with little to no benefit?. If any one has had the Freezer Extreme and changed to another cooler, please can you confirm if you noticed a drop in temps, really appreciate the help :)

Associate
your temps are still within spec.

How have you set up the cpu? is it stock (PBO auto), PBO on or PBO off?

Try putting a -ve offset on the core voltage and test using R20 to see if temps and score change with different offsets (start at 0.1V and work your way back to 0 and see what the difference is).

What is the fan curve like?

Soldato
Hi All

Firstly hope everyone had a nice Christmas and wishing you all a happy new year.

I recently upgraded to Ryzen 5600x on MSI X570 gaming plus motherboard and initial idle temps were shockingly high at 55c and 85c and rising during gaming.

Thankfully the issue with this was the recent problems with the Epic game store and once closed idle dropped to more reasonable 38c, however gaming sessions sit at around 80-82c. Which I've seen people comment that this is not unexpected with Ryzen cpus.

However coming from I7 4790k running at 60c during high workload I don't feel comfortable with this. Currently have a Arctic Freezer Extreme rev 2, but feel the contact plate is not sufficient as there is a good part of the chip on both ends not being covered by the cooler.

Am looking at a replacement cooler and was looking at water cooling but bit apprehensive about them as heard of pumps failing etc, any recommendations either air cooler or AIO would be appreciated.

I posted pretty much your exact issue in the CPU thread a couple of weeks ago. You have the same setup as me, both old and new.

as many well tell you the temps are ‘acceptable’ for the new AMD chips. Much like you though it just didn’t sit right with me. I’m using a decent sized AIO as well and I was still getting temps far in excess of the 4790k.

I fixed mine by jumping into the bios. And running fixed overclock of 4.5ghz and set the voltage to 1.2. Temps have massively improved.

A few members suggested some other settings that might help and leaving the PBO on to do its thing. Which I’ll have a play with soon. But to fair it’s now quiet and quick with the settings above. Sure I could get a few extra points on a benchmark by playing some more, but I think any further gains would be negligible.

Associate
OP
your temps are still within spec.

How have you set up the cpu? is it stock (PBO auto), PBO on or PBO off?

Try putting a -ve offset on the core voltage and test using R20 to see if temps and score change with different offsets (start at 0.1V and work your way back to 0 and see what the difference is).

What is the fan curve like?

Thanks for the reply, sorry been away for a few days, I have left everything stock, I did not want to mess with boost clocks when I was not happy with stock temps, fan curve stock also, have 2 120mm front case intake, 1 rear and 2 top 120mm exhausts, the 2 top are pwm the rest are just fixed speed. I'm ordering the new cooler and want to see if this make a difference to the temps under stock before I start amending voltage etc, just to see if it can make a difference.

Associate
OP
I posted pretty much your exact issue in the CPU thread a couple of weeks ago. You have the same setup as me, both old and new.

as many well tell you the temps are ‘acceptable’ for the new AMD chips. Much like you though it just didn’t sit right with me. I’m using a decent sized AIO as well and I was still getting temps far in excess of the 4790k.

I fixed mine by jumping into the bios. And running fixed overclock of 4.5ghz and set the voltage to 1.2. Temps have massively improved.

A few members suggested some other settings that might help and leaving the PBO on to do its thing. Which I’ll have a play with soon. But to fair it’s now quiet and quick with the settings above. Sure I could get a few extra points on a benchmark by playing some more, but I think any further gains would be negligible.

Thanks for the advice, when you say fixed overclock, will the cpu run constantly at 4.5ghz or will it only boost to this speed? can you provide some quick instructions on how you do this, many thanks for the support.

Soldato
The SE 224XT looks a very good cooler for the 5600X and can be had for around 27 quid.

If you run a fixed overclock you will lose single core boost so rather than doing that I would recomend reducing PPT and EDC values while also running a negative curve optimiser.

Stock PPT should be 88 and EDC 90 so try reducing these to 78 and 80 and set curve optimiser to a negative offset -10 should be ok. By doing this your capping the power the CPU can draw which also reduces heat while.

By playing about with these settings I managed to reduce my 5800X from 81.5c to 65c in cinebench R20 while actually gaining score.

You can fine all these settings in the bios by going to Advanced > AMD overclocking > PBO > manual.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the advice, when you say fixed overclock, will the cpu run constantly at 4.5ghz or will it only boost to this speed? can you provide some quick instructions on how you do this, many thanks for the support.

Here is what mine is at currently. I will be trying Joxeon suggestion soon though.

In the OC menu
Set 'CPU ratio' to '45'

iX0Ys7k.jpg

Scroll down a bit
Change 'CPU Core Voltage' to 'Override Manual'
In the 'Override CPU Core Voltage' set to '1.2'

G5Qs2r6.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks all, bit the bullet and ordered the new cooler, plan to run everything stock with it once it arrives to set a baseline and then tweak the settings as advised, will post results back. Thanks so much for the instructions.

Associate
OP
Ok, now received the Scythe Mugen ARGB and it's great, looks amazing in the case, great fit and with the offset design leaves the ram sticks completely clear so you can show them off fully also. The most important bit though is that this cooler has fixed all my heat issues with the 5600x. My idle temps are now 32c, running Cinebench all cores hit max of 62c and in game over 2 hour session never went above 77c. Will try to push the chip a bit now to see how much extra performance can now be had, thanks all.

Associate
Ok, now received the Scythe Mugen ARGB and it's great, looks amazing in the case, great fit and with the offset design leaves the ram sticks completely clear so you can show them off fully also. The most important bit though is that this cooler has fixed all my heat issues with the 5600x. My idle temps are now 32c, running Cinebench all cores hit max of 62c and in game over 2 hour session never went above 77c. Will try to push the chip a bit now to see how much extra performance can now be had, thanks all.

I'm using a Corsair H100x and I thought it was too hot, but I'm also getting like 64c on Cinebench and 79c in some heavy games. It probably has to do with the core voltage going near 1.4v in demanding applications, rather than unproper cooling. The only thing I have different from factory settings is DCOP enabled so my 3600MHz ram sticks work properly.

I had a 4770k in the past with temps around 62c at max load so I'll have to get used to these new temperatures as well.

Associate
OP
I managed to get temps even better under load and gaming to a stable 60c - 65c, the issue lies with Epic Game Store, don't know if you saw the news but for some reason while the store is running in the background it adds unnecessary load to the Ryzen 5000 series cpus, could not believe it but yep what a difference. Epic say that they have patched the issue but I still have it, so after launching a game I close the Epic games store and the temps stay beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom