• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Coolit omni alc, self contained GPU water cooler.

Caporegime
The problem I find in general is the waste of these products.

Someone needs to get computer case makers together so installing watercooling is easier and more efficient.

For me the most useful thing of watercooling is removing the heat from a case with lots of heat sources, I always ran radiators setup outside the case, it stops difficult radiator mounting, cramped cases and a complete and utter pain to remove components when upgrading and changing things like motherboards.

What we need is, a computer case maker that has removeable panels around the expansion slots area so you can have for instance the gpu cooler connected to a rad box outside the case, with a silent fan, ability to have several rads, a decent pump and everything else outside the case and out of the way but the ability to get the gpu/cpu blocks into the case easily, as pci slots limit you to tiny tubing or side panel off which is what I ended up doing mostly.

You need to be able to unclip the gpu block, slide it out of the case easily, work on the case, change gpu, switch out mobo's with no rad's in the way, no tubing, then when all is done slide the gpu block back in , hook it up and away you go.

That also leaves you with improved out of case cooling, no rad/tubing screwing up the upgrade process and just a simplified and somewhat safer way to run watercooling.

But then thats just me :p

The gpu block is a great idea itself, and if I could use it with an external cheapo radiator box and remove the heat from the case I'd probably be all over it.

Associate

Someone needs to get computer case makers together so installing watercooling is easier and more efficient.

For me the most useful thing of watercooling is removing the heat from a case with lots of heat sources, I always ran radiators setup outside the case, it stops difficult radiator mounting, cramped cases and a complete and utter pain to remove components when upgrading and changing things like motherboards.

What we need is, a computer case maker that has removeable panels around the expansion slots area so you can have for instance the gpu cooler connected to a rad box outside the case, with a silent fan, ability to have several rads, a decent pump and everything else outside the case and out of the way but the ability to get the gpu/cpu blocks into the case easily, as pci slots limit you to tiny tubing or side panel off which is what I ended up doing mostly.

You need to be able to unclip the gpu block, slide it out of the case easily, work on the case, change gpu, switch out mobo's with no rad's in the way, no tubing, then when all is done slide the gpu block back in , hook it up and away you go.

That also leaves you with improved out of case cooling, no rad/tubing screwing up the upgrade process and just a simplified and somewhat safer way to run watercooling.

The gpu block is a great idea itself, and if I could use it with an external cheapo radiator box and remove the heat from the case I'd probably be all over it.

But then i would prefer to watercool fully inside making it look neater even though it does have better cooling outside of the case.

Man of Honour
That is a pretty good idea much like the H50 CPU block, wonder how efficient it actually is for something like Folding@home with a pair of GPU's working 24/7...

Well I have one swiftech double rad cooling a GTX260 and heavily overclock i7 running 24/7 doing just that, all cores at 61° and the GPU at 50° when folding, and my tubing is about the same size as the Coolit stuff.

Pish posh.. as long as the radiators are not in the way of the internals (say roof mounted or in the bottom of the case) then its no different and far more elegant to have everything inside the case IMHO. Its far more of a pain to have to drain the system to take things apart, especially GPU blocks, I've managed quite a few times to remove the CPU block and replace the motherboard or CPU without disturbing the rest of an internal watercooling system but full cover GPU blocks really require too much work to get install and remove.

Having external radiators and boxes is fine if you have some sort of dedicated computer room in your house, but if, like a lot of people your computer has to be part of the rest of the house you want something contained and not looking like Frankenstein laboratory :D

I like the modular concept you have, I've always wanted someone to do that, for every part of the PC even non watercooled bits. Would make upgrades a doddle. :)

Soldato
I don't see how coolit will overcome

a) the different tubing lenghts required
b) SLI/Xfire capability, would you have to buy the dual plate version from the off?
c) Can this dual rad really tame two GTX480's??

Biffa, in your experience would having a separate GPU loop be any more convenient or easier for general PC maintenance?

Man of Honour
I'm building a separate loop in my current system, can see how it would help with not having to drain the entire system to change a single part, but I don't have to do that already for easy to remove parts like CPU blocks or single chipset blocks. But GPU blocks are quite fiddly to fit and going back to your tube length point, tube length is usually set to minimise excess tube length for neatness, airflow, efficiency etc. which isn't conducive to easy removal of the blocks really.

Associate
Biffa - I could do a case study with your posts ;)

Thats just it... neat self contained loops inside the case. Nothing wrong with going full out DIY but as someone who has done it before you see the point of what we are up to which a couple of years ago was easier said than done. We're not going to give anyone liquid nitrogen temps but we are trying to give you the ability to reduce the overall acoustics and thermals of your PC in a nice clean and simple package that doesn't look half bad either I might say ;)

I don't see how coolit will overcome

a) the different tubing lenghts required
b) SLI/Xfire capability, would you have to buy the dual plate version from the off?
c) Can this dual rad really tame two GTX480's??

Biffa, in your experience would having a separate GPU loop be any more convenient or easier for general PC maintenance?

3t3p,

a) it won't be a perfect science.. there will be some configurations where our solution just wont work but we do considerable research before speccing tube lengths to make sure we accomodate as many scenario's as possible w/ out making the tubes too long. Our tubing isn't just cut off a reel, its built to length.. each piece is tooled so a lot of thought goes into that anyways.

b) two options here. if you are doing two card you need 240mm of radiator minimum so you could do a single 240 plumbed to two cards or two individual 120mm loops. Either way works as they have hte same mounting requirements of two 120mm fans.

c) If by tame you mean run cooler and quieter than the stock hsf then yes... that wouldn't be hard ;) That said, validation of that solution is still under way so we'll see exactly how tamed they get when thats done. I suspect it will be adequate though.

hot hot hot

Soldato
Thanks for the reply.

I still don't understand tube lengths, on the coolit site it says you've got to order your tube lengths and have a bespoke unit crafted? that's how I interpreted it anyway...

Or are you going to offer models with maybe three different tube lengths?

I really want to try liquid GPU cooling, but from what i've seen and read only the most hardcore enthusiasts get full cover blocks for their GPUs. It costs a lot and makes maintenance a hassle.

If the coolit system works well, then it would be great, its low profile, will reduce temps and noise, increase OCing headroom and the interposer plates will be cheaper than full cover blocks.

I do not fully understand how the interposer plates make sufficient contact with the waterblock section for effective heat transfer, will TIMs be required?

Associate
From the Cool IT forums..

Mr Fujisawa,

Thanks for your interest in our Omni ALC. Yes if our Omni ALC 240mm unit were available we could sell you an Omni ALC 240mm plumbed for two GTX 480s and you could use the unit for one GTX 480 while you wait for the second to arrive. However we have not yet began testing an Omni ALC 240mm and it is unclear at this point if we will make one. However, you could purchase two Omni ALC units plumbed to a 120mm radiator and have two separate loops for both cards, as long as you ahve an addition 120mm fan mount. Our Omni ALC unit will be available in the UK from Overclockers UK.

TheJon

Strange about not having the 240mm but no biggy i guess... good about OcUK :)

Soldato
Yeah good old OcUK, they're pretty quick to get in the tasty kit nowadays I've noticed. Good on the purchasing guys (whoever you are!).

Soldato
This looks exactly like the sort of product I would buy. Advantages of better cooling, quieter but without the time, skills or fiddling around required for a DIY issue. I'm prepared to sacrifice some performance for the ease of use, assuming it would work in a Corsair 800D.

Oh and any more news on the 240mm rad cpu cooler?

Associate
I'm very interested in the Omni, should work a treat on my 4870X2 which I think was the card that first prompted them to start making it...

Not so much of a problem for those with the 5000series cards but I definitely want to cool down my card without having a super loud fan blasting away.

So are we looking at getting these in June or is that just the initial release?

Also, Barry, can you confirm which cards from previous generations the Omni will be available for?

Soldato
Ok if no 240 rad unit we need to be able to fit two 120 rads right up against each other.
There can't be bulges on both sides of the radiator therefore, one side will need to be flat.

In the end separate units might be the way to go. You buy another card you just get another unit. It will also fit more cases then a dual rad solution.

Man of Honour
Biffa - I could do a case study with your posts ;)

Thats just it... neat self contained loops inside the case. Nothing wrong with going full out DIY but as someone who has done it before you see the point of what we are up to which a couple of years ago was easier said than done. We're not going to give anyone liquid nitrogen temps but we are trying to give you the ability to reduce the overall acoustics and thermals of your PC in a nice clean and simple package that doesn't look half bad either I might say ;)

Pah... you just like my sig :p

Seriously, I'm no hard core watercooler. I've only been at it since 2007.

What you go for is horses for courses really. If I just want to cool a mildly overclocked server or workstation then I'll go for all-in-one, but if you want ultimate cooling or are some sort of tubing/led/water fetishist then thats part of the program too, if I can find the time. :(

First thread here: mATX Q6600 Water Cooled Build
Ironically with one of the forerunners of the Coolit/Corsair solutions. :D

Then I got a bit more adventurous with Watercooling a ATC-201

Currently I'm losing my mind over this:

Soldato
Hey Guys - the sneak peak I was alluding to is now out. We're pretty happy with this preview. I'm here if you have additional questions as well!

http://bit.ly/aN28OR

If you want to see the installation vid.. its up here:
http://bit.ly/46BNs2

Barry

ps. biffa - your sig is what I wish furmark drew ;)

It's shame the reviewer didn't use the T Delta method as that would have put you card even more ahead, he even eludes that when he tested the product it was a few degrees warmer on that day.

Associate
i like the look, and with system getting rather noisey with those fans im keen. as mentioned earlier would it be reliable enought for 24/7 crunching?

Back
Top Bottom