Copy files from NAS to USB (not backup)

Caporegime
A simple and possibly stupid question, but my googling is failing me.

I am moving away from my Synology to an UnRaid server.

I want to copy all my files from the NAS to a 2TB USB3 drive I have attached.

Everything I have googled is about making backups of the Synology, but in that file system format, like an image or something.

I just want to copy the files/folders to the USB the same way I would if I attached the USB to my windows machine, so that I can just plug the drive in to the new machine and have all my data.

I can access the various folders in Windows by mapping the various Synology volumes, and interact with them in Windows explorer as standard, but copying over wifi would take a crazy amount of time, so I was hoping just plugging in a USB3 drive and leaving it running overnight/for a few days would sort that.

Any ideas?

Don
Map the Synology to the Unraid, copy. Won't take too long over a gigabit network.

Or SSH into the Synology and use Linux commands to copy folders to the USB drive.

Or use Filestation on the Synology web interface.

Man of Honour
Depending on model you should be able to re-purpose the front USB port to copy from an internal device and I've never had problems with HDD's in a caddy, etc. though sometimes you need an additional power supply for them. Make sure you setup the front USB port properly as it is easy to delete data from the wrong device if you get it wrong and it tends to be rather slow :( taking me about 2 hours to copy over 500gb that way.

Back
Top Bottom