1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corbyn traingate video - media representation of truth.

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by stewski, Aug 23, 2017.

1. stewski

Mobster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47fqjA8CwGE

An extended edit of the original "Traingate" Corbyn video is circulating my social media echo chamber.
    To avoid living in a safe space bubble I welcome the thoughts of others on both the original media representation of the story and any issues people see with that, as well as any comments on the redux version above.

To be honest, I genuinely don't believe potential misrepresentation of politicians/events in the media is an entirely a political bias issue (though special interest by the relatively few owners of media is likely a problem), for me Jihadi Jezza on the eve of an election is as low as I have ever seen in this country.

2. Rroff

Man of Honour

Regardless of the truth - travelling as a party of 5 or more its probably a good idea to reserve seats in advance and/or make use of business or first class - there are obviously some areas where they are 1-2 seats that are indeed empty that they choose to walk past even if the train is more full than Branson tried to make out.

People sitting on the floor near exits isn't proof one way or another either - I often see people sprawled in exit spaces when I'm on the train into Waterloo regardless of whether the train is full or not.

3. stewski

Mobster

That's one takeaway, it looks likely that a large number of seats represented as vacant were occupied though?
    If you are going to say you should go business class, why not take a limo or chopper?

4. Caged

Capodecina

It was just a bit of standard political campaigning by Branson I think. There was no real reason for it to be him to put out the photo 'debunking' the idea that the train was full, since Virgin Group are very much the minority partner in the franchise.

Regardless, the whole story was unlikely to actually change people's opinions on how to vote. At least I'd hope people aren't that thick.

5. Rroff

Man of Honour

Just seems to me that if you are travelling as a party involved in what is essentially work related stuff then business (or rather now first) class is more appropriate - its obvious that some of the seating decisions came down to the needs of being in a group with the press there, etc. which pretty much goes out the window in even a moderately busy normal class train environment.

6. Dolph

Man of Honour

Corbyn lied, got caught out, some people still refuse to believe their messiah could lie. It may make you feel better to blame the media, but it doesn't change the reality of what happened. Remember, the media did not report it negatively at first until the reality came out.

7. stewski

Mobster

I don't remember seeing it reported until images of 'vacant' seats were shown, the longer edit doesn't appear to support the initial reporting/edits to my recollection at least.

8. Dolph

Man of Honour

9. stewski

Mobster

That is indeed one media outlets coverage, how much coverage did the now obviously edited footage story get?

10. Dolph

Man of Honour

That guardian article was the original source. The dishonesty got more coverage, but that was because of the poor and inconsistent messages from the labour team.

Why has it taken so long for this other video to emerge, and why doesn't it align with the statements coming from the Corbyn's team at the time?

11. Caged

Capodecina

12. Nasher

Capodecina

He is as much of a fraud as all the other big politicians.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  13. TallPaul1878

Wise Guy

Corbyn lied
    Nobody died.

14. VincentHanna

Capodecina

I assume people aren't watching the video, since it turns out he didn't lie.

15. d_brennen

Capodecina

Sadly that's the nature of people, even those with political interest

16. datalol-jack

Soldato

His heart was in the right place on this, and he tried to highlight a genuine problem. High fares, not enough rolling stock on certain routes and surging demand; fair enough. The way his team went about this left much to be desired, however. Needless to say, prebooking on seats is often ignored as people only claim them when they actually board the carriage, leaving room for staff and people on the train for some flexibility to address ebbs and flows in numbers. Further people do roam to find the guard, sit in a group, find the facilities/food and to avoid sitting next to another person, which is not exactly optimal behaviour but there we are. The whole saga out of the Virgin tussle was uncomfortable to say the least.

In short, if you want to shoot an ad, shoot an ad; same for memes; if you want to have fly-on-the-wall footage, send one person to do it not a team of 5 - there are many journeys one could pick in the SE where bodies are rammed in like sardines. Ffs, all things said and done, don't make the party leader look like an amateur or dissembler, as it's exactly the image your are trying to fight off!

Where the story is awkward is for those who genuinely believe the current team are beyond power plays, spin and the muck of politics, and don't skip a beat. Clearly they are fallible.

17. Gigabit

Mobster

But, he was telling the truth. There weren't enough seats.

Do people not watch the video? The Torygraph used this as an effort to smear him and now the truth has come out, this is going to only ignite support for him, as was proved with the recent election.

18. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I'm surprised that, this far into the discussion, that nobody's questioned the source or accuracy of this video seeing as it seeks to debunk a previous video / photo. The video has clearly been edited and we are supposed to accept that the voiceover speaks a script that can only be the truth. Double Down News - a company incorporated just over 4 months ago, by a student and a freelance web designer who also had a very brief stint in what can only be described as a modest property development business and, of course, who worked for the Corbyn election campaign.

Who to believe, eh?

19. Rroff

Man of Honour

The only thing the video shows for definite is that the story is more 50/50 than originally reported - The pro-Corbyn accounts of it at the time and his own words were still a distortion/manipulation of events.

While it reveals that things weren't as cut and dried as initially reported there are some (unreserved) seats that are evidently empty and others that we can't be sure if they are empty or not but as they were a party of 5+ they went past them because they couldn't seat the whole party in a block - people stretched out in the exit parts of the train isn't an indication itself of anything I see that all the time even when a train is only 75% full when I'm travelling up to London.

20. datalol-jack

Soldato

I watched it. Much of the argument between Corbyn's team and Branson hinges on what is, I kid you not, an empty seat. In most of the footage, sure, there are definitely more reserved seats - but that status, especially if they are not already claimed is not sacrosanct; there are people spreading out throughout the train, but as highlighted there can be multiple explanations for this even on a journey which is under capacity; nor is there any visible initial attempt to engage staff to help seat the party. By cherry-picking those shots, one could construct any narrative one likes, which is what happened. So, I'm back to thinking that an outright ad or undercover commuter footage would've been more effective.

As for veracity, the only sure way to really find out is to FOA Virgin yourself, wait seven months and compare what you get with what's posted on YouTube and The Telegraph's source.