• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core i7 Extreme

Associate
If I were to buy one of these, what kind of motherboard, memory and cooling would it need. I hear it is possible to overclock them by 1ghz without fiddling with the voltage, so stock cooler? Doesn't sound right to me.

Soldato
If I were to buy one of these, what kind of motherboard, memory and cooling would it need. I hear it is possible to overclock them by 1ghz without fiddling with the voltage, so stock cooler? Doesn't sound right to me.

For a start, you would be better with an i7-920

Overclock just as well by raising the BCLK and adding some voltage. And you save a LOT of money.

As for motherboards, there are a lot of good ones around for the i7. Any of the X58 chipset ones.

RAM, you need DDR3 TRI-channel RAM.

As for cooling, a Prolimatech Megahalems with two Noctua NF-P12 fans is an amazing combo.

Soldato
The TRUE fits in the antec 300 (just) and the megahalems is a touch shorter, so it should be fine.

I suggest having a look at this RAM, perfect for your overclocking needs.

I would also suggest against the EE (which is it 965 or 975?) unless it is new and costs less than the i7 920.

As for motherboard, i'd recommend this one or this one if you are on more of a budget.

Soldato
Unless the extreme chip is actually cheaper than an i7 920 D0 stepping, buy the 920 D0. Unless you're using water/better you're just not going to see any difference at all.

The gigabyte UD5 is pretty standard around here, but for good reason. The asus P6T series are the main competition to it.

The patriot ram is much loved, again for good reason. If you want better, look to ocz or corsair.

The better cooling, the faster it goes.

AMG

AMG

Soldato
thurs hammer is quite good.. even in passive and it looks stunning, also I ll +1 what others have said including the titan

as for the mobo, others have said it really

Back
Top Bottom