Corona Build... (just another gaming pc thread)

Associate
Disclaimer
I apologise for another general build advice thread which you have all helped with a million times before, so thanks in advance!

I've decided to use our impending isolation and doom from Corona as an excuse to finally commit to a new gaming rig. I've been slowly convincing myself and managed to upgrade my chair (now Noble Hero Black) from a table chair, now I want to jump to the machine. I wouldn't say I'm a heavy gamer anymore but I do like to have the high settings available, should I want to. I tend to go for more strategy games (older mostly being Age of Empires, Command and Conquer etc), and some FPS (Planetside, Counter-strike), but getting a new setup could get me back into proper games.

I know graphics card wise that its probably worth waiting for the next gen in the summer, so I dont mind a lower tier to upgrade at a later point, I'm also after going for 4K (or is it really not worth?).
What do you think is suitable for a decent machine with good upgrade potential?

Budget wise I want to be sensible and not just spend for the sake of it, but I can go around £2k + monitor.

Soldato
Welcome aboard.

Besides monitor choises being limited (barely any high refresh rate ones) 8.3 million pixels of 3840x2160 is very demanding for graphics cards.
2560x1440 is the sweet spot.
Though strategy games like big monitor+resolution and don't need high framerates and CS is very light game by today's standards.

For most games you don't need expensive parts.

Ryzen 3700X would be quite good for couple years and then you could later swap in 12 core Zen3 if you start playing more newer heavier games.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3b7-am.html
Getting now 3900X would be wasted for older games.

In motherboards there's no need for anything more expensive than this.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html
Actually that would be plain overkill for just 8 core CPUs, with £100 B450 Tomahawk being well enough for them.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-socket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33t-ms.html

In memory 2x8GB (£70-80) is well enough for older games.
2x16GB kit would be better if you know you'll be playing heavier future games and like keeping web browser etc on background.

10 year warranty PSUs are sub £100.

Associate
OP
Thanks Joxeon!

Given I'm happy to spend a bit extra on top of budget for the monitor, I've made a few changes (basically motherboard and processor), I know it's a little more overkill but I feel it might help longer term?:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,775.80 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Soldato
The Aorus Ultra isn't the best X570 board in that price-range. The MSI Unify is. You don't actually need to spend so much even if you go for the 3900X instead of 3700X. Even a 3700X will be wasted on those older strategy games that use just one or two cores. But it will be plenty for newer games.

A Tomahawk/Pro Carbon with 3700X would be more sensible, and still allow for an upgrade to a faster Ryzen "4900X" if you really need one (they'll be released sometime this year).

When thinking of futureproofing, also factor in futureproofing your cash to allow for some newer, faster stuff for the same total you'd otherwise spend in one whack.

Extra money could be spent on a second SSD for example, depending on how many games you like to play and/or other storage needs.

Do you need a case?

Soldato
If going b450, just wait till b550 . VRM and design is quite different .
Want x570 then go for x570 gaming X for £135 odd and can handle 16 core unlike b450s if needs be .

Can get cheaper 750w PSU with gold rating and 10 yr warranty :)

Shadow rock 3 by bequiet is same price or cheaper and is Better in performance then Mug 5 !

Total: £2,066.29 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The Aorus Ultra isn't the best X570 board in that price-range. The MSI Unify is. You don't actually need to spend so much even if you go for the 3900X instead of 3700X. Even a 3700X will be wasted on those older strategy games that use just one or two cores. But it will be plenty for newer games.

A Tomahawk/Pro Carbon with 3700X would be more sensible, and still allow for an upgrade to a faster Ryzen "4900X" if you really need one (they'll be released sometime this year).

When thinking of futureproofing, also factor in futureproofing your cash to allow for some newer, faster stuff for the same total you'd otherwise spend in one whack.

Extra money could be spent on a second SSD for example, depending on how many games you like to play and/or other storage needs.

Do you need a case?

You make a very good point. Sorry work has been taking up all my thinking ability! I forget you can upgrade the CPU without replacing the whole mobo etc with AMD.

I might still want to play newer games but as you've mentioned I can always upgrade parts later on should it start to struggle.

So sticking with the list Joxeon gave, would it be a good list but should I keep the tomahawk or would the X570 AORUS ELITE still be better long term (I'm thinking incase I wanted antoher M2 SSD etc), plus I've always been a fan of Gigabyte. Id just have to purchase elsewhere due to out of stock.

Case wise I'm not too worried about anything flash, I was just going to go for something simple like:
Total: £81.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Soldato
X570 is definetly a better option over a b450 if you want to run a second nvme at full speed and the Aorus elite is an excellent board at that price point.

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the advice, I have now ordered and expect everything to arrive tomorrow!
I've purchased an additional case fan as suggested, assuming from reviews this should go above the bottom fan at the front (1 covering GPU 1 covering CPU) & I had to source the motherboard elsewhere due to out of stock. Hopefully it won't take me too long to configure :).

Total: £2,157.55 (includes shipping: £28.02)​

Soldato
I've purchased an additional case fan as suggested, assuming from reviews this should go above the bottom fan at the front (1 covering GPU 1 covering CPU)

Correct. You could also move the rear fan to the front as the Pure Wings 2 the case comes with aren't the high speed version (I think), and stick the new fan at the rear, or however you prefer. To be honest this won't matter much if you plug each fan into separate motherboard headers as you'll be able to control their speed individually. Would be recommended if using a splitter for the two front fans, for example.

Associate
OP
I completely missed your basket!

In terms of differences:

CPU theres an obvious difference for £150(+).

Motherboard: Theres a £33(-) difference, although I won't change this now do we think the Elite will be better longer term?

Powersupply has a £23(-) difference, though 750w might be more useful when the new graphic cards are released later in the year?

Monitor wise there's a £60(-) difference, I'm happy to send back and swap if you think the Gigabyte will perform better? I have monitors I can use in the mean time (general dell non-gaming) so keen to get a decent monitor since they last a while.

Then the case and additional fan add another £110.44(+)

[url=https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-27gl850-b-27-2560x1440-nano-ips-144hz-1ms-freesync-g-sync-compatible-widescreen-led-gaming-monit-mo-155-lg.html]
MO004GI_227645_105x105.jpg
[/url]

Soldato
@Matty_H

Sorry , missed your post !!!

Elite is the better board !!!!

Both PSU are good, I just went with cheaper option and lower power. Even Corsair 750w version is slightly cheaper :) both 10yr warranty . Corsair is direct replacement from UK not Germany

Biased towards Aorus monitor, faster Hz would allow for more powerful cards in future. Google Nano panel from LG and it's not quite Mini LED and comes close to Samsung colour tech .

Buy bequiet 801... Slightly bigger but has 3x 140mm fans in there

Ha, not on sale... 601 has 120mm fans and not 140mm

Back
Top Bottom