Correct age for men to stop using gel/wax products etc. in their hair?

Man of Honour
I’m sure I’ve read from multiple sources that male hair genetics is generally inherited from your grandfather on your mother’s side, ie your mum’s dad.
Yup. My paternal grandfather was bald in his 20's. Everyone on my dad's side had a full and thick head of hair. I'm now a slaphead.

Soldato
I'm 30 this year. I have a short back and sides, longer on top. I use a small amount of putty/wax to just keep everything in place. I used to use a handful of gel and make my hair all spiky, I stopped doing that around 18.

Soldato
Stopped using gel when I was about 14. I'm 29 and use sea salt spray and putty now. Wont be stopping any time soon unless I one day get a much shorter haircut

Caporegime
Hello

Have been pondering this one for a while.... I see some blokes obviously 40+ with their mop decked out in styling products and I think it looks well wrong. I reckon by the time a guy hits (let's say) 35 he should have either gone bald, be shaving his head, or just giving his hair a good rub after the shower and not applying 'product'. Thoughts?

Thanks

RD

it depends completely on the person and their hair style an dhow much hair they have.

an arbitrary number is a stupid way to assess the situation

Soldato
Uh oh, only 2 years before I'm refused gel at the shop and have to shave my head in penance of my advancing years.

Youths these days

V F

V F

Soldato
Meh. 38, going grey, forehead is mounting a hostile takeover of my scalp. Still use wax. My hair looks like I've been electrocuted each morning so needs to be tamed.

Probably for another year or so, then it gets buzzed and I get another two minutes in bed every morning.

Oh man, you funny. :D:D:D:D

Soldato
What do you use? I have hedgehog hair - so after a shower it needs to be brought under control! Wax/gel is too greasy

You need a matte paste/wax.

Fudge do a good matte paste. (The one in the grey bottle)

I’ve been using johnnys chop shop sports and social fibre and it’s great.

Man of Honour
Yesterday I seen a quadragenarian painter and decorator who had clearly used the big tub of dry hard hair gel and a wide toothed comb to comb his thin fringe straight down over his forehead. It looked like 1995 again. It stirred other memories from 1995 which I would rather have permanently forgotten, however it did arouse some mirth.

Soldato
What? What the **** does any of that have to do with someone rubbing clay into their head?
I'm unable to tell if clay is genuinely a hair product ?

But - you stop using these products and just use shampoo+conditioner when you mature beyond the clutches of the advertising industry, and become your own man,
or have no hair left, whichever comes first.

Always amusing in the leisure centre changing rooms how long it takes for youngsters to apply all this ... wrong priorities .. eg they should be learning to avoid their fast food diets.

[
Why buy nice clothes?
Why wash?
Why wear a quality watch?
Why iron things?
Why wear cologne?
yes I thought that was relevant .. but some of those are vanities.
]

Back
Top Bottom