Correct age for men to stop using gel/wax products etc. in their hair?

Soldato
44 and still use a little product. And I don't think there is any age limit. Plenty of older men clearly use product in the public eye who don't look silly and would probably be considered by most to have decent looking hair. Paul Hollywood, Martin Kemp and Matt Le Blanc spring to mind immediately.

Associate
I'm 51. Graded back and sides. Small amount of clay on top to style. It's a dry formula so not even obvious it's there, but it holds my fine fly away mop in place :D

Same here. Been having mine cut like that ever since I was at sixth form.

I'm 50 in mid-August this year and started using hair gel when I was a teenager - despite my father questioning why I was "putting that crap in your hair". Switched to the rather fab VO5 Matt Clay a few years ago and haven't looked back. Frankly, I'll continue using something in my hair until the day I go bald - don't give a monkey's who says I shouldn't be using it beyond a certain age. Is there an upper age limit on women using hair-spray? I think not ...

I don't use any product (I'm 47), but I wouldn't let some arbitrary or societal norm stop me from doing so. I'll wear whatever I want how I want until the day I die and I could not care less what anyone else thinks and I refuse to conform to any age-related norms, what sort of man allows someone else or wider society to dicate to him what he can and can't wear? I actually quite enjoy the fact that it probably winds people up and gets them sneering because I know if i've upset your little world view, I've won.
I think this pretty much defines my attitude towards this subject in particular, but also to the wider issue of what you can or can't/should or shouldn't be doing as you get older. Personally, I take utter delight in doing stuff that society wouldn't expect a 'typical' 50-year-old to be doing - I make no apologies for considering my age to be just a number.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK, so you go for the, do not go gentle into that good night, meme ?

At 40+, in the Turkish barbers this morning, getting the #2, £10, I had not realised facials are now on the menu for £6, have survived this far witout one,
but, asking, the 'red&black azure'(?), brand, looked interesting, probably not in the supermarket though.
... they always add product without asking so I guess thats the norm.

Back
Top Bottom