Corsair h50 airflow direction

Associate
I read that the H50 cooler's fan should be set up so that cold air is being pulled in from the rear of the case. It strikes me that this could be problematic. In my current case the air flow is front to back and the dust filters are at the front. Reversing the direction would mean that those dust filters would be useless. Furthermore i would have to reverse the direction of all my other case fans. Since I'm considering buying an antec 1200 that is a lot of fans to reverse.

Is anyone using their h50 so that air is being pushed OUT of the rear of the case? I.e. the opposite direction to what they recommend? What are the performance effects of doing this?

Cheers,
Dub

Soldato
If you trawl google youll find plenty of examples of people using the H50 to exhaust air.
Corsair only say have it sucking in cold air to aid cooling the RAD to best effect.

Plenty of people across forums are running a push-pull on the RAD Using 1 fan to blow air through the RAD and the other fan sucking the air from the RAD outwards and blowing it outside the case.Then mount it so that the airs being exhausted from the case and matches your current airflow setup.

As below crudely desciped < being the airflow
Outside of Case<fan<rad<fan<inside case

Associate
+1 for exhaust. I've got two fans fitted to it as well and have got my intakes running full tilt to get as much air flow in their as possible.

when I finish the dang thing though I'll prob cut the roof and try the h50 up there as an intake. If it's no better then I can fit another quiet 120mm intake up there and slow the front two 80mm which are a tad noisy at 12v.....can't hear my ati hairdryer at all...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18056390&highlight=username_capriboy1978

Associate
OP
Ok sounds good - one of my concerns is that if i decide to stick with my trusty old akasa eclipse 62 for this build it only has one intake fan, albeit 120mm. This intake fan pulls air in from outside but that air is then immediately passed over my warm hard drives. Still - if i think about it this is no different to when i had a regular air cooler on my cpu - so it should still work just fine.

Associate
I'm thinking about this too... i have an antec 900 case, and im debating whether to lump it onto the rear exhaust fan in a push/pull system with the fan that comes with it, or whether to stick it on the side of the case, I did a basic test of what the air is doing now by putting atear of clingfilm near it and seeing if it was blown away or sucked to the case.. and it was sucked, so air is going in from the side currently..
Does anyone see any problems with me attaching it as an intake on the sidepanel? Apart from being careful when taking the sidepanel off afterwards of course.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hybrid thanks mate..

i discovered that i can add an extra intake fan replacing 3 of my currently unused 5.25" drive bays... it's pretty cheap to do and OCUK sell the parts i need.

still.. the shiney lights of the antec twelve hundred are awfully tempting.

Associate
either do it yourself or walk into any small engineering shop with a £20 and walk out again with your nicely cut case. I'm lucky in that I have a good friend who has his own business and will do it for nowt but a pint next time were out :)

decided tonight I'm going to get the hole cut either way - if \h50 exhaust is no good then it's going up there, if h50 exhaust is ok then a nice wuiet intake fan is going in the roof instead.

Associate
OP
capri - isn't there a danger though that the vent in the roof will nab all the lovely cold air coming in from the front intake(s) before it gets to the back to be exhausted by the h50?

Soldato
scribing is marking it out on the steel using a scribe, eg scratching the markings into the metal. Then use any decent dremel cutting blade to grind your way through the metal and cut the rough shape out then fill it down to the scribed line.
Hell for £20 i'ld do it for you if i had the tools lol

Ild top mount the h50 if possible to exhaust after all the basic principle is hot air rises!

*Considers pimping out his fathers access to a powder coating facility to ocuk members*

Last edited:
Associate
I tried both directions and get considerably lower temps through intake. That's with two Apaches. Then again I have the Thermaltake Armor, which is quite a large case, and I have a 120mm fan on the front as an exhaust. I'm not interested in why it works but it does.

Associate
capri - isn't there a danger though that the vent in the roof will nab all the lovely cold air coming in from the front intake(s) before it gets to the back to be exhausted by the h50?

if the h50 works well enough when i clock the balls of this cpu tomorrow then I'll leave it as an exhaust and mount an extra intake in the roof. Thoughts being this will allow me to slow the front 92mm (not 80's) down to 5v. At 12v there very noisy. Without this extra intake i'm suspicious even running the two 92mm intakes at 12v that I don't have enough airflow into the case for the h50 exhaust with push pull and the psu to move.

if the h50 isn't much cop with the cpu clocked then I'll mount it into the roof as an intake with push pull, drop the two 92mm intakes down to 5v and run the rear 120mm at 5v as well. With psu fan this should move enough warm air out of the case, leaving the option of upping the rear upto 12v if it doesn't.

Hope this makes sense, I really should just buy a better case :p but i'm loving the gt900.

Back
Top Bottom