Corsair H50 vs Prolimatech Megahalem

Soldato
A lot less to go wrong with a block of metal. Id want the megahalem out of those two, but would get the Thermalright ultra 120 extreme were I looking further afield.

The corsair stands a risk of saturating over 4ghz, performance then drops off somewhat. Bear in mind that on any of these three systems you'll be lucky to hit 4.2

Associate
OP
A lot less to go wrong with a block of metal. Id want the megahalem out of those two, but would get the Thermalright ultra 120 extreme were I looking further afield.

The corsair stands a risk of saturating over 4ghz, performance then drops off somewhat. Bear in mind that on any of these three systems you'll be lucky to hit 4.2

Dust is an issue in this house though... While the Antec 902 has dust filters, an air cooler would just gather more unwanted dust... Thats why I am thinking of going for the H50.

Soldato
Well the way you fit it you need to turn your rear fan around meaning your sucking in air from behind the PC through a unfiltered fan which imo would be worse. The rad will block up with dust no different.

Soldato
all PC cooling systems ultimately rely on blowing air over fins. That area will become clogged. Protect the outside of the case with filters and you protect all of those cooling systems at the cost of reduced flow. And the filters still need to be cleaned.

Associate
Well the H50 would be more quiet but im thinking both would get an i5 to 4GHz with acceptable temps. Personnally I would go for the H50 since it looks nicer and takes up less space.

Soldato
The fact is that the H50 just does not have anywhere near the surface area of a Megehelems....it does not carry a large volume of water either so the system will get saturated fairly quickly and temps will be much higher.

In my opinion the megahelems will cope with the dynamic load of the CPU far better. I think the H50's only redeeming quality is that it is relatively space efficient....

but I also think that if you are going to watercool then you should do it properly and not faff around with these little kiddy playkits.

Soldato
IMOA -
Posted By gurusan
if you are going to watercool then you should do it properly and not faff around with these little kiddy playkits

Dont knock it until you tried it!!!, Corsair came along with basic water cooling kit and it WORK's very well indeed, l did consider a Pro Meg for my i7 build but took the risk and went for the H5O very easy to fit, do's not block off a ram slot, good temp's fitted with Apache fans push>pull> air out and the only thing l hear is my DVD-RW spin up when in use my case is less than a foot away. Well l guess that make's me a Faffer and proud to be one lol.

Soldato
The H50 is a good cooler Gurusan the tone of your post presents it as some piece of crap and you don't even own one, there has been plenty of good reviews from owners on this board.

Soldato
The H50 is a good cooler Gurusan the tone of your post presents it as some piece of crap and you don't even own one, there has been plenty of good reviews from owners on this board.

Agreed.

It would be useful if the people staing that one cooler is better than the other would back up their point with a review or two.

Soldato
I never said it wasn't a good cooler...but looking at it from an engineering standpoint it just doesn't have the cooling capacity of a megahelems.

However when you take the compact design into consideration the cooler is quite good....

Associate
I'm using the Cosair H50 here and can certainly recommend it. It takes up much less space, is very quiet, is a breeze to install and provides decent temps.

Associate
What temps are you guys with the H50 getting under load? I have the Megahalems and my 4GHz 920 peaks at 79c under heavy sustained load (IBT/OCCT etc..).

Back
Top Bottom