1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of Mortgage Advice

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by jonnylaris, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Fusion

Capodecina

My mortgage is less than 25% of my take home (and that’s after pension and student loan). It’s a good place to be financially if you can do it.

However, there’s always the temptation or option to trade up, which I am considering. Could get something significantly better and still be below 33%, which would be fine. I don’t have any loans, credit card debts or other finance though.

2. flea.rider

Hitman

wow young un's today are never satisfied...why spend over 40% of your wage on a house .. spend 25% and when you can over pay .. when the house is yours late 30's ish
    then step up your still only going to spend 25% but you will have 50% to put down .. don't go to fast you might lose it all
    be happy with what you have most don't :)

3. EvilRob

Gangster

We are slightly under 25%, however I take home about 3x what my wife does after tax. We'd still be pretty comfortable if my wife lost her job, but if I lost mine it'd be extremely difficult. This does worry me, so we overpay quite a bit and keep a good amount in cash savings.

4. fobose

Mobster

For me it's about paying as little interest as possible, so I prefer to pay more now. I've never felt a huge need to have a massive amount of disposable income each month. I might also go 6-8 months without spending anything on myself (I mean literally nothing, not even clothes). I get joy out of spending my money on other people.

However, when I do buy something I want it normally costs me a fair amount. I also moved from a much cheaper area so my normal 3 bed to 4 bed upgrade should have an extra 80k in my old area but it cost me 260k extra to get it where I am now. I didn't have much of a commute before (25 mins tops) but now it is only 10 mins if that (and if on the bicycle, 28 mile round trip to to 8 mile round trip). My wife's commute was 50-60 mins but now only 20-25 mins, although she working from home atm :D