Costs of moving out.

Soldato
But that's purely on your circumstances and where you rent.

Well the mortgage is based on my circumstances, everything else is pretty inflexible. If you're going for low end rent/mortgage, based on the fact I can get by with 1k, other people should be able to, too. It's a good ball park for people "thinking" about moving out however I certainly wouldn't recommend people think I have 1k a month therefore I can and will be able to afford a house.

Soldato
Thing is low end rent means different values in different places

Totally true. We rent a 2 bed semi in West Yorkshire for £450 pcm.
A friend of ours rents a one bed flat in Oxford for £815 pcm.

Crazy. He certainly doesn't earn double what I earn, don't know how he affords to live there.

Soldato
I rent, sharing with 2 others, some of our numbers probably wont work out the same due to economies of scale etc, but here goes.

-Buildings & Contents Insurance - As renters it's contents only, we each have our own individual policies, costs me about £20 / month
-Council Tax - about £135ish / month, we each pay £45.something a month.
-Water
-Gas
-Electricity - Our utilities work out to be between £140 and £160 / quarter for gas, water and electric. it works out roughly £20 / month each.
-Phone line - We don't pay this for one of our lines, it's included, and only one of us pays for the second line. It should be included with a cable package if that's what you go for, check you're in a cable area though. :)
-TV Licences - We don't have one as we don't watch TV.
-Monthly food/drink costs - Whatever you want really, some months I feel frugal and it's about £20 / week, others it can be £200 for the week if we can't be arsed to cook and go out each night.
-Costs for general things around the house It's fairly variable, obviously there's the usual washing powder etc which is about £10 / month, then there's bleach for the loo, general cleaning stuff which probably adds up to another £20 / month. It really depends on the given week / month. Some weeks we might have to get bleech, polish, washing up liquid, bin liners, hoover bags and toilet rolls in one shop, which gets expensive. Other weeks we might not need anything.

Back
Top Bottom